This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.9583 / 53°57'29"N
Longitude: -1.0893 / 1°5'21"W
OS Eastings: 459850
OS Northings: 451741
OS Grid: SE598517
Mapcode National: GBR NQTN.YT
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.7RJV
Entry Name: Old Station and Former Station Hotel
Listing Date: 20 December 1974
Last Amended: 14 March 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1256403
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464934
Location: York, YO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Micklegate Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
TOFT GREEN (North West side),
Old Station and former Station Hotel
(Formerly Listed as: TOFT GREEN,
York Old Station and former Station Hotel)
Formerly known as: York Old Station TOFT GREEN.
Railway station and hotel; now offices. Station of 1840-41,
with alterations and extensions of 1845 and 1850s; hotel of
1852-53. Train shed largely demolished 1965-66. Architect GT
Andrews of the York and North Midland Railway Company;
Engineer T Cabray of the Great North of England Railway
Company; Ironfounder Edwin Thompson of the Phoenix Foundry,
Walmgate, York. Double train shed terminal station, flanked by
departure and arrival buildings; hotel added across railhead.
MATERIALS: departure building to south-east: sandstone ashlar
and gault brick in Flemish bond; ashlar colonnades, dressings
and moulded cornices; hipped roofs of Welsh slate, and brick
stacks, either truncated or demolished. Rear of gault brick in
Flemish bond, now painted, with gauged brick arches. Arrival
building to north-west: red brick in English bond with
orange-red gauged brick dressings, on ashlar basement; ashlar
bands and moulded cornice; brick stacks to Welsh slate hipped
roof. Former hotel to north-east: gault brick in English
garden-wall bond, with ashlar doorcase, quoins, bands and
cornices; brick stacks to Welsh slate roofs.
Train shed of cast-iron and glass.
EXTERIOR: DEPARTURE BUILDING front: 3-storey 5-bay centre
block, flanked by lower 3-storey 6-bay blocks with projecting
end bays; to left, 2-storey 3-bay block; to right, 3-storey
5-bay block. Hotel return wall set back at right end.
Rusticated ground floor of centre block has recessed 20-pane
sash windows with radial-glazed heads beneath round arches of
radiating voussoirs with moulded imposts. Round-headed sashes
on first floor recessed beneath arcaded hoodmoulds on moulded
impost band; on second floor, windows are segment-headed in
eared and shouldered architraves. Both floors have moulded
sill bands, and first floor has prominent cornice on brackets.
Giant pilasters at outer angles and flanking central window
rise through moulded first floor cornice to eaves cornice.
Ground floors of flanking blocks have 5-bay Tuscan colonnades
with entablatures, and rusticated end bays. Windows behind
colonnades are 12-pane sashes. End bays have round-headed
openings recessed beneath arches of radiating voussoirs with
moulded imposts; in left block, radial-glazed window altered
to door. First floor windows are 12-pane sashes; those on
second floor, unequal 9-pane sashes. All windows are in
architraves, over moulded sill bands on ground and first
floors, that on first floor continued from centre block;
moulded band at second floor level, and moulded eaves cornice.
End blocks have round-headed ground floor sashes, originally
radial-glazed, recessed beneath round arches of radiating
voussoirs with moulded imposts. Windows on first floor are
12-pane sashes in architraves over moulded sill band continued
from adjacent block. Moulded eaves cornice formed by second
floor band continued from adjacent block. Right block has
third floor with unequal 9-pane sashes over moulded band
continued from adjacent block, and moulded cornice.
ARRIVAL BUILDING front: basement and 2 storeys; 7 bays: hotel
return wall to left. Basement windows with grilles and screens
largely covered. Window towards left end of ground floor
altered to panelled double doors, retaining upper sash and
radial-glazed fanlight. Other windows are round-arched sashes,
some with paired glazing bars, some with radial-glazed heads,
over panelled aprons and beneath arches of gauged brick with
moulded impost band. On first floor, windows are 4-pane sashes
with ashlar sills on blocks and cambered arches. Raised first
HOTEL front: basement and 3 storeys, centre block with attic;
9-window centre block flanked by 3-window wings, curved at
corners. Centre block has raised and chamfered angle quoins.
All basement windows, now mostly blocked, in plinth stepped-up
over windowheads to form lintels. In centre block, Doric
doorcase in antis has recessed double doors of fielded panels
and fanlight in keyed round-arched architrave, approached by
steps. Windows throughout are 12-pane sashes on ground, first
and second floors, beneath cambered arches of gauged brick on
ground and first floors: second floor windows are squat
without arches. Centre block has 6-pane attic sashes beneath
cambered arches, above moulded frieze and prominent cornice on
console brackets. Ground and second floor windows have moulded
sill bands; first floor windows have plain sill band. All
parts have moulded eaves cornices, and all windows have very
thin glazing bars.
Left return: 3 storeys 3 bays. Detailing largely repeats that
of main front, with square bay with sashes and radial-glazed
window on ground floor, and one first floor window blind, one
enlarged to 15 panes.
Right return: 3 storeys 7 bays. Main front detailing repeated,
with part glazed and panelled door and divided overlight, and
one blind window on first floor.
TRAIN SHED: low brick platforms on both sides survive
virtually intact. Platform sides of departure and arrival
buildings also survive virtually unaltered. An area of train
shed roof survives at rear of former hotel building, between
the arrival and departure buildings.
INTERIORS: not inspected.
(Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York:
Edinburgh: 1980-: 242-44; City of York: RCHME: South-west of
the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 53-55).
Listing NGR: SE5985051741
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings