This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9523 / 53°57'8"N
Longitude: -1.0956 / 1°5'44"W
OS Eastings: 459448
OS Northings: 451070
OS Grid: SE594510
Mapcode National: GBR NQSQ.LY
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.4XKG
Entry Name: Nunroyd
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Last Amended: 22 May 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1256457
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464898
Location: York, YO24
Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Micklegate Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
SE5951SW THE MOUNT
1112-1/19/1082 (South East side)
Includes: No.1 MILL MOUNT.
Two houses. Early C18 with possible C17 remains; altered 1815
and extended early C20.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. The facade has three 5-sided 3-storey bay
windows with flat leaded roofs. The left-hand bay window is a
replica added in the early C20 when the house was extended.
Each has tall glazing bar sashes of 4 over 4 panes, with
sashes of 2 over 2 panes on the 2nd floor and with brickwork
below sill level on each floor. The main front wall has 2
storey bands which are interrupted by the bay windows. At the
far left there is an early C20 oriel window on both the ground
and first floors. The doorway, between the 2nd and 3rd bay
windows, has a pilaster doorcase with console brackets, a
fluted frieze, frieze blocks with paterae, and a cornice.
Immediately above there is a lead-covered timber cornice hood
carried on timber brackets. The door has 6 raised and fielded
panels and a rectangular overlight. Modillion timber cornice
gutter, with lead rainwater hopper to left of left-hand bay
window. Chimneys on left-hand gable, and on ridge between 1st
and 2nd bays. The right-hand return wall, facing Mill Mount,
is blank except for one central bay which has sashed windows
on the ground and first floors and a casement window above.
The ground-floor window has an external shutter with raised
and fielded panels. To its right is the doorway to No.1 Mill
Mount, which has a reeded pilaster doorcase, a door with 6
raised and fielded panels, and a plain overlight. The
brickwork of this side wall shows evidence of more than one
phase of construction. There are 2 string courses, with a 3rd
string course below the lower one, interrupted by the
ground-floor window and door and terminating to the left of
the window. 2 ridge chimneys.
INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records original staircase in
No.109 with turned balusters, square newels and moulded
handrail. Staircase in No.1 Mill Mount has lower flight 1815,
remainder original C18 staircase, plus several fireplaces
No.1 Mill Mount was first listed 22/05/80.
(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York:
RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 66).
Listing NGR: SE5944851070
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings