This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5102 / 50°30'36"N
Longitude: -3.6033 / 3°36'11"W
OS Eastings: 286410
OS Northings: 69054
OS Grid: SX864690
Mapcode National: GBR QR.79WX
Mapcode Global: FRA 37BQ.40S
Plus Code: 9C2RG96W+3M
Entry Name: St Augustines Priory
Listing Date: 22 March 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1256845
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464477
Location: Abbotskerswell, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12
Civil Parish: Abbotskerswell
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Wolborough St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX8689 PRIORY ROAD
1012-1/12/104 (South side)
22/03/83 St Augustine's Priory
Priory. Early C19 house, remodelled and extended as priory in
1861, with chapel of 1863 by JA Hansom. The chapel by JA
Hansom was consecrated in 1863.
MATERIALS: stone rubble with freestone and brick dressings and
PLAN: monastic buildings built around an early C19 house which
remains at the core.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey and attic west wing has mansard roof; 5:1:5
bays, the centre a large projecting tower with an arched
entrance and broached corners to the bottom stage with an
octagonal upper stage which has a slate roof with half-hipped
gables and surmounted by a helm spire with a clock face. The
five windows to left and right have pointed arch heads to
first floor, tented-roof verandah to ground floor and
half-hipped dormers in mansard roof.
Chapel to the east has a gabled clerestory with geometric
traceried windows and a large octagonal tower over the east
end with buttresses at corners and arcaded lights; squat
slate-roofed octagonal tower with quatrefoil windows and a
central octagonal wooden lantern.
Early C19 two-storey house is at the centre of the monastic
buildings and has slate roof, stuccoed front with sash
windows, some splayed bays and a tented-roof iron verandah to
the ground floor.
INTERIOR: outstanding interiors of the chapel and chapter
house are completely intact; the nave of the chapel has an
arched-brace roof on colonettes and large angel corbels.
FITTINGS: complete,including a remarkable gothic altar by CA
Buckler lit from a lantern above over a the large octagonal
tower which is supported on stilted arches with marble and
banded columns with carved capitals. There may be interior
features of interest in other parts of the building.
HISTORY: the Priory was the principal house of the Augustinian
English Cannonesses Regular established in 1861.
Listing NGR: SX8641069054
Other nearby listed buildings