History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Lodge and Attached Gates and Gate Piers

A Grade II Listed Building in Guildhall, York

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.9608 / 53°57'38"N

Longitude: -1.0866 / 1°5'11"W

OS Eastings: 460025

OS Northings: 452019

OS Grid: SE600520

Mapcode National: GBR NQVM.KX

Mapcode Global: WHFC3.8PTY

Plus Code: 9C5WXW67+89

Entry Name: The Lodge and Attached Gates and Gate Piers

Listing Date: 2 November 1972

Last Amended: 14 March 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1257098

English Heritage Legacy ID: 464223

Location: Museum Gardens, York, YO1

County: York

Electoral Ward/Division: Guildhall

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: York

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: York St Michael-le-Belfrey

Church of England Diocese: York

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in



1112-1/27/782 The Lodge and attached gates and
02/11/72 gate piers
(Formerly Listed as:
Lodge and gates)


Lodge; attached gates and gate piers. Lodge 1874, gates and
gate piers 1879. By George Fowler Jones for The Yorkshire
Philosophical Society; gates probably manufactured by the
Walker Foundry.
MATERIALS: lodge of ashlar; plain tile roofs, half conical
over machicolated eaves to street front and with wrought-iron
finial, partly hidden elsewhere by embattled parapets;
corniced ashlar stack with offsets. Gate piers of ashlar,
gates of cast and wrought-iron.
EXTERIOR: entrance front: 2-storey block with 1-storey porch
beneath crow stepped gable; 2-stage embattled circular tower
to right. Door in porch is glazed and panelled with overlight
in chamfered stopped opening with 2-centred head: above is
stilted arched hoodmould on foliate stops; in gable apex
monogrammed shield bearing defaced date 18.. and initials YPS
entwined. Porch left return has shield of Royal Arms bearing
Plantagenet lions beneath pointed hoodmould with headstop at
Front to Museum Street: 2-storey 2-window bowed front to right
of 2-storey parallel range with corbelled extruded stack in
re-entrant. On ground floor are three shoulder-headed windows,
on first floor two square-headed windows, all 1-pane sashes in
chamfered openings. Moulded first floor string, extended over
stack. Garden front: 2 storeys and attic, crow-stepped gable
wall. 4-pane sash windows on ground and first floors, slit
light in gable end, all in chamfered openings. First floor
string course.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: gate piers are square on plan,
approximately 3.0 metres high, inner and outer faces supported
by gabled dwarf buttresses beneath panels carved with pendent
armorial shields. Shallow pyramidal caps surmounted by
reconstructed gas lamps. Paired carriage gates are flanked by
pedestrian gates, of square section bars and rails with
rosettes at the heads.
(Murray H: Heraldry and the Buildings of York: York: 1985-:

Listing NGR: SE6049052070

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.