History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Fitness Connection Health Club

A Grade II Listed Building in Crosby, Sefton

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4638 / 53°27'49"N

Longitude: -3.0073 / 3°0'26"W

OS Eastings: 333220

OS Northings: 396814

OS Grid: SJ332968

Mapcode National: GBR 7XFD.Q1

Mapcode Global: WH870.S64D

Entry Name: The Fitness Connection Health Club

Listing Date: 20 December 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1257327

English Heritage Legacy ID: 463989

Location: Sefton, L21

County: Sefton

Electoral Ward/Division: Linacre

Built-Up Area: Crosby

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Litherland St Andrew with Seaforth St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Bootle

Listing Text


CROSBY

SJ39NW SEAFORTH ROAD
778-1/3/117 (East side)
The Fitness Connection Health Club

II

Formerly known as: The Palladium Cinema SEAFORTH ROAD.
Cinema, now fitness club. Dated 1913 in pediment; altered.
White faience and common brick, pitched slate roof to main
range behind entrance block. Edwardian Baroque style.
Rectangular plan at right-angles to street, with entrance
block parallel to street.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 3 bays, symmetrical, with a narrow
pedimented centre, channelled pilasters to the corners and the
centre, a moulded plinth, a string-course over the ground
floor with egg-and-dart enrichment, and a dentilled cornice
and plain parapet to the upper floor broken by the pediment.
The centre has a wide recessed entrance with altered doors
(the head now covered by a recent fascia board), a large keyed
oculus at 1st floor with a festoon, and a wreath in the
pediment containing raised lettering "1913". Both floors of
the wide outer bays have triple windows with individual keyed
architraves and continuous sills with double festoons, those
at 1st floor with 12-pane sashes but those at ground floor now
covered by lettered boards.
The return sides of this range, of common brick, have similar
coupled and triple windows on each floor. The south side of
the main range has 2 large pedimented doorways, the 1st with
altered doors and the other blocked, and 3 large enriched
oculi above; the north side has plain doorway and plain oculi.
INTERIOR: foyer with two staircases of white marble;
auditorium altered at ground floor and suspended ceiling
inserted, but above that original moulded plaster panels and
decorated segmental-vaulted roof survive (slightly damaged).


Listing NGR: SJ3322096814

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


CROSBY

SJ39NW SEAFORTH ROAD
778-1/3/117 (East side)
The Fitness Connection Health Club

II

Formerly known as: The Palladium Cinema SEAFORTH ROAD.
Cinema, now fitness club. Dated 1913 in pediment; altered.
White faience and common brick, pitched slate roof to main
range behind entrance block. Edwardian Baroque style.
Rectangular plan at right-angles to street, with entrance
block parallel to street.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 3 bays, symmetrical, with a narrow
pedimented centre, channelled pilasters to the corners and the
centre, a moulded plinth, a string-course over the ground
floor with egg-and-dart enrichment, and a dentilled cornice
and plain parapet to the upper floor broken by the pediment.
The centre has a wide recessed entrance with altered doors
(the head now covered by a recent fascia board), a large keyed
oculus at 1st floor with a festoon, and a wreath in the
pediment containing raised lettering "1913". Both floors of
the wide outer bays have triple windows with individual keyed
architraves and continuous sills with double festoons, those
at 1st floor with 12-pane sashes but those at ground floor now
covered by lettered boards.
The return sides of this range, of common brick, have similar
coupled and triple windows on each floor. The south side of
the main range has 2 large pedimented doorways, the 1st with
altered doors and the other blocked, and 3 large enriched
oculi above; the north side has plain doorway and plain oculi.
INTERIOR: foyer with two staircases of white marble;
auditorium altered at ground floor and suspended ceiling
inserted, but above that original moulded plaster panels and
decorated segmental-vaulted roof survive (slightly damaged).


Listing NGR: SJ3322096814

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.