This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.96 / 53°57'36"N
Longitude: -1.0798 / 1°4'47"W
OS Eastings: 460477
OS Northings: 451942
OS Grid: SE604519
Mapcode National: GBR NQXN.15
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.DQ2J
Plus Code: 9C5WXW6C+23
Entry Name: Number 28a and Attached Drill Hall
Listing Date: 1 July 1968
Last Amended: 14 March 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1258004
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463228
Location: York, YO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Guildhall
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: York All Saints, Pavement
Church of England Diocese: York
1112-1/28/242 (North East side)
and attached Drill Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
House, later inn and stableyard; now Territorial Army office
with drill hall attached. Early C19 house, converted to inn in
mid C19; altered to military use 1872, retaining mid C19 inn
front, and with drill hall added on stableyard with access
from St Andrewgate. Drill hall by Gould and Fisher for the
First West Yorkshire (York) Rifle Volunteer Battalion.
MATERIALS: Colliergate front of pink-grey mottled brick in
Flemish bond with inn front and boxed gutter of timber; hipped
pantile roof with brick stacks, one truncated. St Andrewgate
front to drill hall of red brick in English bond, with bands
and dressings of white brick, painted stone and glazed tile:
asphalt roof with brick cornice stack at right end, and long
skylights to front and rear.
EXTERIOR: Colliergate: 3-storey 1-window front. Inn front has
surround of sunk-panel pilasters supporting dentil cornice on
heavy scrolled and grooved consoles: door of 6 fielded panels
to left and blocked doorway to right flank window of tripled
1-pane sashes over panelled riser. First floor window is
shallow bow with three 15-pane sashes; on second floor, two
16-pane sashes with painted sills have painted flat arches
largely obscured by modillioned guttering with fluted bowl
rainwater head at right end.
St Andrewgate: 1-storey 9-bay front, on double chamfered
plinth, articulated by plain pilasters, supporting coved
cornice on moulded modillions and pierced parapet with flat
coping. Central bay has double doors of shaped raised panels
with wicket, in 2-centred arch of two orders on slender shafts
with moulded bases, annulets and foliate capitals on high
pedestals and with hoodmould on foliate corbel-stops above.
Over flat door lintel, tiled tympanum bordered in bay leaves
contains moulded white roses in panels. Above arch, scrolled
stone panel with incised motto "PRO ARIS AND FOCIS". Flanking
bays contain 2-light mullion and double transom windows in
single order arched openings detailed as doorway: end left
window has recessed door under. Window sills extend as sill
band and hoodmoulds continue over pilasters as impost strings.
Patterned tile set beneath each window in white brick band.
Decaying foundation stone set in base of left end pilaster,
inscribed: "STONE/ FOR THIS DRILL HALL AND ARMOUR (sic)/ FOR
THE 1ST WEST YORKSHIRE (YORK)/ RIFLE VOLUNTEERS/ WAS LAID
INTERIOR: not inspected.
The drill hall is a new addition to the list.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 121; ).
Listing NGR: SE6047751942
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.