History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stanley Sidings, Stables to East of Bonded Warehouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Wembley, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5421 / 51°32'31"N

Longitude: -0.1466 / 0°8'47"W

OS Eastings: 528626

OS Northings: 184201

OS Grid: TQ286842

Mapcode National: GBR C1.8D

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.DHVQ

Plus Code: 9C3XGVR3+R9

Entry Name: Stanley Sidings, Stables to East of Bonded Warehouse

Listing Date: 30 September 1981

Last Amended: 11 January 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1258101

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476872

Location: Camden, London, NW1

County: London

District: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: Camden Town with Primrose Hill

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Silas the Martyr with Holy Trinity Kentish Town

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Highgate

Listing Text


CAMDEN

TQ2884SE CHALK FARM ROAD
798-1/65/193 (West side)
30/09/81 Stanley Sidings, stables to east of
Bonded Warehouse
(Formerly Listed as:
CHALK FARM ROAD
Former Tackroom of Railway Stables,
to east of Bonded Warehouse)

GV II

Four blocks of industrial stabling, now workshops and
warehousing. c1855-1870, with later Victorian additions. For
the London and North-Western Railway Company's Camden Goods
Yard. Stock brick, with hipped slate roofs, some stone
lintels. Some iron columns internally, but floors and roofs
generally of timber.
EXTERIOR: mostly of 2 storeys.
Northernmost block (A) abutting on Chalk Farm Road, c1855,
with upper storey of c1895. Long curved front road, mostly of
2 storeys with eaves cornice but western end of one and a half
storeys, somewhat altered, with chimney on roof. Round-headed
half windows for stabling on ground storey, segment-headed
industrial windows in upper storey (eastern end only).
Elevation towards yard irregular. Eastern portion has
cantilevered open balcony at first-floor level retaining some
concrete horse troughs and connected by bridge to Block B and
separately to ramp on Block C. Ceilings of ground storey have
jack-arch iron and brick construction. INTERIOR of upper
storey has separate compartments and paving for horses but no
stalls.
Block B immediately to north of North London railway line. 3
storeys. Ground storey c1868, originally provender store, with
round-headed half-windows for stabling on long elevations;
upper storeys c1881, with round-headed windows at first-floor
level and segment-headed windows above. Tiers of loft openings
for hoists, much altered and renewed. Connected by narrow
bridge at east end to Block A.
Block C between Blocks A and B and parallel to Block B. 2
storeys. Ground storey c1868, upper provender store, with
round-headed half-windows for stabling on long elevations;
upper storeys c1881, with round-headed windows at first-floor
level and segment-headed windows above. Tiers of loft openings
for hoists, much altered and renewed. Connected by narrow
bridge at east end to Block A.
Block C between Blocks A and B and parallel to Block B. 2


storeys. Ground storey c1868, upper storey 1881; horse ramp on
north side of block c1895, connected with balcony on Block A.
Round-headed windows on ground storey, segment-headed
industrial windows above on both north and south sides. South
side formerly had another horse ramp, of 1881, and covered
bridge connecting with Block B, demolished in 1980s. Ground
storey has iron and brick jack-arch construction and iron
stanchions against walls stamped 'Norton and Son Darlaston'.
Block D at right-angles and to west of Blocks B and C. 2
storeys. Ground storey c1868, upper storey c1881. Main
elevation faces eastwards, with return northwards.
Round-headed half-windows for stabling at ground level, some
segment-headed sash windows above. Tall brick chimneys.
INTERIOR with original timber benching, one timber partition
and some harness hooks. Said to have been formerly the Tack
Room for the stabling. Formerly connected by a bridge at south
end to Block B.
Included as a rare example of substantial industrial stabling
and a major surviving portion of the former Camden Goods Yard.
Forms a group with the 'Horse Hospital' to north-west (qv) and
with further remnants of stabling and warehouses west of Block
D (qv). A tunnel (now blocked) south of the North London line
connects the complex with further LNWR buildings and the
Regent's Canal south of the North London Line.

Listing NGR: TQ2862684201

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.