History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

22, ST ANN STREET (See details for further address information)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Salisbury, Wiltshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0657 / 51°3'56"N

Longitude: -1.7919 / 1°47'30"W

OS Eastings: 414678

OS Northings: 129620

OS Grid: SU146296

Mapcode National: GBR 51F.3SR

Mapcode Global: FRA 7649.FQV

Plus Code: 9C3W3685+76

Entry Name: 22, ST ANN STREET (See details for further address information)

Listing Date: 28 February 1952

Last Amended: 26 January 1977

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1258815

English Heritage Legacy ID: 445712

Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Salisbury

Built-Up Area: Salisbury

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Salisbury St Martin

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Salisbury

Description

ST ANNE'S STREET
1.
1594 (South Side)
28.2.52. No 22
- Nos 26A & 26
SU 1429 NE 4/164
II+ GV
2.
C15 origin and C16/C17 altered in the C18. 2 storey and attic, Mathematical
tile front with moulded and bracketed eaves cornice and old tile roof. 6 windows
and central angular bay window, all with architrave frames on 1st floor. 3
bay central doorway on ground floor with 6-panel door, and sides of 3 panels
each, divided and framed with panelled pilasters, scroll brackets and small
cornice fitting under bay window. Formerly 3 windows each side of door, now
2 on right hand a 6-panel secondary door, and one on left hand with garage
and secondary door. 2 C19 dormers with bargeboards to gables. Courtyard to
rear enclosed by wings. The elevation of west wing to The Friary qv 2 storeys
tile hung on timber frame with flint and brick former external chimneys now
flush with wall, 3 flush framed sashes. The ground floor is screened by length
of old flint walling, reputed to be remains of Greyfriars convent. Inner front
of wing to courtyard has studded timber framing. Rear elevation of street
block tile hung and brick, 2 storeys early C19 and C18 sashes, coved cornice
over brick part.
Interiors: north street range has a 4 bay C17 roof purlins and principals.
The hall roof is C15, former open hall, centre truss, arched braces to collar,
springing from hammer beams with hammer posts. cross braces. Plaster ceiling
circa 1630. East range to courtyard has roof of 4 trusses, collars, 2 Queen
stunts, clasped purlins and windbraces. West range roof Cl5, clasped purlins,
cambered collar, windbraces, one open truss with hammerbeams. 2 4 centred
arched stone fireplaces. To rear of No 26 good C16/Cl7 staircase with giant
shaped newels rising to ceiling.

Nos 22, 26 & 26A form a group with Friary Court and Craddock House, The Friary.


Listing NGR: SU1467829620

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.