This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0657 / 51°3'56"N
Longitude: -1.791 / 1°47'27"W
OS Eastings: 414743
OS Northings: 129612
OS Grid: SU147296
Mapcode National: GBR 51F.40N
Mapcode Global: FRA 7649.G34
Plus Code: 9C3W3685+7J
Entry Name: Salisbury Museum
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Last Amended: 26 January 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1258828
English Heritage Legacy ID: 445725
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Salisbury St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST ANNE'S STREET
1594 (South Side)
Nos 40 & 42
SU 1429 NE 4/368 28.2.52.
C18 house facing street was largely demolished in C19. Facade of Victorian
brick in Tudor style 1863 by John Harding. Part of earlier building survives.
2 storeys and attic. Gable end old tile roof to left with coved cornice. C19
gable with stone coping to right and large but lower gable over Museum entrance,
diamond pattern brickwork. Flush framed sashes to surviving C18 part. The
Victorian fenestration is stone mullioned and transomed casements. Large 3
centre arched double doors to Museum in moulded stone surround with panelled
spandrels, drip mould raised up to contain panel over. The main museum hall
has elaborate cast iron roof trusses.
Surviving from the earlier horse is a large circular room of 1812. Domed ceiling
with elaborate plaster enrichment to walls and coffered soffit of dome. Pilasters
articulate walls. The plaster work was carried out by Italian craftsmen who
had lived and worked in Salisbury for several generations. One of the original
mahogany doors remain, of tall proportions, and 4" thick.
The windows and fireplace have been removed, the window openings remain.
Nos 32 to 42 (even) form a group.
Listing NGR: SU1474329612
Other nearby listed buildings