History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ruxford Barton Including Adjoining Garden Wall to South

A Grade II Listed Building in Sandford, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8091 / 50°48'32"N

Longitude: -3.6815 / 3°40'53"W

OS Eastings: 281622

OS Northings: 102403

OS Grid: SS816024

Mapcode National: GBR L7.YC58

Mapcode Global: FRA 365Y.PL4

Entry Name: Ruxford Barton Including Adjoining Garden Wall to South

Listing Date: 26 August 1965

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1258831

English Heritage Legacy ID: 445699

Location: Sandford, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Sandford

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Sandford St Swithin

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Crediton

Listing Text

SS 80 SW SANDFORD

3/200 Ruxford Barton including
26.8.65 adjoining garden wall to
south

II


Manor house, now farmhouse. Probably late medieval core, refurbished and enlarged
in early C17 (dated plasterwork of 1608), modernised in mid-late C19. Rendered
volcanic rubble; stone stacks with C19 brick chimney shafts; slate roofs. Main
block facing south with cross wings projecting forward each end and single storey
front porch. Cross passage, formerly through-passage to main block with 2 service
rooms to left (west) with axial stack between. Store and service chambers in west
wing. Hall right of passage with lateral stack projecting to rear and stack
between main block and right (parlour) wing. 2 storeys with attic rooms only in
cross wings. Vaguely symmetrical frontage. Gable end of each wing has late C19
and C20 casements with exception of attic windows; a possibly C18 2-light window
with iron casement to left and blocked window to right. Main block has 4-window
front of late C19 3-light casements with glazing bars. Main door right of centre
has gabled C17 porch. It has seats each side and shelving to right with small
section of C17 oak panelling below. In front stands C19 round headed, wrought-iron
arch with scrolled pendant and finial. Early C17 studded 9-panel oak door with
strap hinges with fleur de lys terminals is hung in richly moulded oak doorframe
with ornate urn stops. C19 service door at left end and early C17 ovolo-moulded
oak doorframe with scroll shops in inner side of service wing. Inside has mostly
C19 features but parlour wing first floor includes high quality moulded strapwork
cartouche with central achievement, the date 1608 and initials of Edward and Anne
Chichester. Roof of main block inaccessible, but C17 oak A-frame trusses with
mortise-and-tenoned collars to wings. Other early C17 features are probably
hidden. Irregularity of main block layout suggests survival of earlier fabric.
From right end of gable front of parlour wing a high rubble wall, topped with cob
and roofed with pantiles, extends southwards along east side of front garden.
Ruxford is first mentioned in a charter of 930 and was a Domesday Manor (Devon
S.M.R.)


Listing NGR: SS8162202403

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.