History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Corona Chimney, Dean Clough

A Grade II Listed Building in Halifax, Calderdale

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7296 / 53°43'46"N

Longitude: -1.8679 / 1°52'4"W

OS Eastings: 408814

OS Northings: 425924

OS Grid: SE088259

Mapcode National: GBR HTD9.DR

Mapcode Global: WHC9M.8JS4

Entry Name: Corona Chimney, Dean Clough

Listing Date: 24 July 1980

Last Amended: 1 March 2011

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1259134

English Heritage Legacy ID: 446326

Location: Calderdale, HX3

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Town

Built-Up Area: Halifax

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Halifax The Minster Church of St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Halifax

Listing Text


679/4/400 OLD LANE
24-JUL-80 DEAN CLOUGH
Corona Chimney, Dean Clough

(Formerly listed as:
OLD LANE
DEAN CLOUGH
CORONA CHIMNEY AT NORTH WEST OF DEAN C
LOUGH MILLS)

GV II
Mill chimney, 1857, in coursed dressed stone with a brick lining. The chimney stands at the extreme western edge of the Dean Clough site. It is octagonal, splayed to a chamfered square at the base, and is 297 feet (90.5 metres) tall. At the top is a string course and necking with a moulded cornice surmounted by pointed cast iron plates forming a corona. At the base are the remains of an attached building to the east in a ruinous state.
HISTORY: John Crossley leased a water-powered mill at Dean Clough from the Waterhouse family in 1822, but he and his brothers had been carrying out worsted spinning and dyeing there since 1802. The mill stood at the eastern end of a mill dam formed from a leat from the Hebble Brook which runs to the south of the site. From 1841 onwards the Crossley family began building a series of engine powered spinning mills and weaving sheds at Dean Clough, used in the manufacture of carpets for which they became famous.

The Corona Chimney has a datestone of 1857 at its base, though this may represent the foundation date rather than its completion. At the western edge of the Dean Clough site, it was associated with a boiler plant to the south and later with a boiler house at the west end of 'F' Mill. It may also have had a role in providing draught for the flock extraction system in 'F' Mill.

Further mills, sheds and other associated buildings were constructed through the C19, and continuing development in the C20 finally ended in 1982 when final carpet production ceased after a gradual run-down following the merger of John Crossley & Sons with Carpet Trade Holdings and the Carpet Trades Manufacturing Company of Kidderminster.

Reasons for Designation
The Corona Chimney at Dean Clough, dated to 1857, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Industrial complex: It is part of the integrated complex of mill structures at Dean Clough for the manufacture of carpets in the C19 and C20
* Architecture: It is of architectural interest with an unusual cast iron capping and decorative detailing
* Local interest: Its great height makes it an important local landmark and emblem of the Dean Clough complex

Listing NGR: SE0880925927

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


679/4/400 OLD LANE
24-JUL-80 DEAN CLOUGH
Corona Chimney, Dean Clough

(Formerly listed as:
OLD LANE
DEAN CLOUGH
CORONA CHIMNEY AT NORTH WEST OF DEAN C
LOUGH MILLS)

GV II
Mill chimney, 1857, in coursed dressed stone with a brick lining. The chimney stands at the extreme western edge of the Dean Clough site. It is octagonal, splayed to a chamfered square at the base, and is 297 feet (90.5 metres) tall. At the top is a string course and necking with a moulded cornice surmounted by pointed cast iron plates forming a corona. At the base are the remains of an attached building to the east in a ruinous state.
HISTORY: John Crossley leased a water-powered mill at Dean Clough from the Waterhouse family in 1822, but he and his brothers had been carrying out worsted spinning and dyeing there since 1802. The mill stood at the eastern end of a mill dam formed from a leat from the Hebble Brook which runs to the south of the site. From 1841 onwards the Crossley family began building a series of engine powered spinning mills and weaving sheds at Dean Clough, used in the manufacture of carpets for which they became famous.

The Corona Chimney has a datestone of 1857 at its base, though this may represent the foundation date rather than its completion. At the western edge of the Dean Clough site, it was associated with a boiler plant to the south and later with a boiler house at the west end of 'F' Mill. It may also have had a role in providing draught for the flock extraction system in 'F' Mill.

Further mills, sheds and other associated buildings were constructed through the C19, and continuing development in the C20 finally ended in 1982 when final carpet production ceased after a gradual run-down following the merger of John Crossley & Sons with Carpet Trade Holdings and the Carpet Trades Manufacturing Company of Kidderminster.

Reasons for Designation
The Corona Chimney at Dean Clough, dated to 1857, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Industrial complex: It is part of the integrated complex of mill structures at Dean Clough for the manufacture of carpets in the C19 and C20
* Architecture: It is of architectural interest with an unusual cast iron capping and decorative detailing
* Local interest: Its great height makes it an important local landmark and emblem of the Dean Clough complex

Listing NGR: SE0880925927

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.