History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Twatley Manor Farm Buildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Brokenborough, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5834 / 51°35'0"N

Longitude: -2.1475 / 2°8'50"W

OS Eastings: 389879

OS Northings: 187180

OS Grid: ST898871

Mapcode National: GBR 1PL.PWY

Mapcode Global: VH95R.QGLJ

Entry Name: Twatley Manor Farm Buildings

Listing Date: 6 February 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1259173

English Heritage Legacy ID: 463187

Location: Brokenborough, Wiltshire, SN16

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Brokenborough

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Malmesbury and Brokenborough

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Easton Grey

Listing Text

ST88NE BROKENBOROUGH SHERSTON ROAD
(south side)

1359-0/3/10007 Twatley Manor Farm buildings

GV II


Stables, now used as farm buildings. Circa 1920-30. Probably by Septimus Warwick for Herbert Choplin Cox. Coursed limestone rubble with stone dressings. Stone tile roofs with stone coped gables. Axial and gable-end stacks with ashlar shafts. PLAN: Comprises two separate ranges. The south range in two back-to-back yards had stables, a blacksmith's shop, a large water tower and pump-house, a mess room, offices and garden sheds. The north range is built around a courtyard with open-fronted vehicle sheds, a vet's room, a fire station, a laundry house and grooms' lodges. C17/18 vernacular revival style.
EXTERIOR: 1 storey and attic and single-storey ranges with stone mullion windows, gables and dormers. The north courtyard range has circular piers to open-fronted vehicle sheds facing yard, the west side has gabled carriageway with oval pitching-eye and re-set datestone inscribed J.H. 1772, and the inner elevation has external stairs to doorways with flanking windows in gables, each with ashlar stack on the side; the Tudor-arch carriageway on the east side is in a squat cross-gabled tower with a weather-vane; at right angles on the outer [east] side there is a single-storey cottage with stone mullion windows and gabled projection at centre with doorway with gabled canopy. The south range has yard on the north side with open-fronted sheds, arched gateway with wrought-iron gate and fox above; the west range has external stairs to loft door on north end and large water-tower with cross-gabled roof; the south yard has ranges of stables with lofts.
INTERIOR: glazed tile walls in some of the ranges.


Listing NGR: ST8987987180

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.