History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

14, Medway Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Gillingham, Medway

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3939 / 51°23'37"N

Longitude: 0.5447 / 0°32'40"E

OS Eastings: 577129

OS Northings: 169165

OS Grid: TQ771691

Mapcode National: GBR PPQ.DKD

Mapcode Global: VHJLV.D799

Entry Name: 14, Medway Road

Listing Date: 21 December 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1259702

English Heritage Legacy ID: 462642

Location: Medway, ME7

County: Medway

Electoral Ward/Division: Gillingham North

Built-Up Area: Gillingham

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Gillingham St Luke

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Gillingham

Listing Text


GILLINGHAM

TQ76NE MEDWAY ROAD, Brompton
686-1/7/22 (South East side)
21/12/73 No.14

GV II

Villa now offices. c1839-42 with restorations c1980s. Ashlar
with hipped slate roof.
PLAN: double depth, square on plan with central hallway.
EXTERIOR: 2-and-a-half storeys with attics and basement, 3
first-floor windows. Basement has moulded string-course
surmounted by quoins to angles; first-floor moulded sill band;
moulded second-floor band; wide eaves on scroll brackets which
interrupt cornice. Central Doric porch with 2 pairs of columns
and pilasters, triglyphs and metopes to frieze. Flight of
steps to replacement doors with overlight in tooled
architrave. Ground floor has tripartite windows: 6/6 between
2/2 sashes with sills and cornices on consoles; first floor
has 6/6 sashes throughout; all in tooled architraves. Second
floor has small casement windows. Attic dormers have 3
pedimented dormers with 3/3 sashes. Left return has 6/6 sashes
to ground floor and basement in tooled architraves, those to
ground floor have sills and cornices on consoles.
INTERIOR: includes: central hallway, open-well staircase with
ornate iron balustrade and wreathed handrail. Embellished
cornices to ground floor.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Bayshill Estate was developed by a joint
stock company who purchased the land from the Skillicorne
family in 1837. By 1843 Henry Davies, in his Guide to
Cheltenham, described, `a number of detached villas .. several
of which are occupied by resident families of affluence and
station, and others are in an unfinished state'. Little
considers this part of, `a superb group (of villas) that make
Bayshill Road one of the great roads for architecture in all
England'. A Classical villa which with its low hipped roof and
bracketed eaves exhibits some of the Italianate style
characteristic of many mid C19 villas.


Listing NGR: TQ7713069161

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.