History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ponsworthy House

A Grade II Listed Building in Widecombe in the Moor, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5518 / 50°33'6"N

Longitude: -3.8341 / 3°50'2"W

OS Eastings: 270162

OS Northings: 74050

OS Grid: SX701740

Mapcode National: GBR QC.6QSJ

Mapcode Global: FRA 27VL.XT2

Entry Name: Ponsworthy House

Listing Date: 23 August 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1260039

English Heritage Legacy ID: 441809

Location: Widecombe in the Moor, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Widecombe in the Moor

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Leusdon St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Widecombe in the Moor

Listing Text

WIDECOMBE-IN- PONSWORTHY
SX 77 SW THE-MOOR
6/237 Ponsworthy House
23.8.55
- II

House. Early C19. Solid rendered walls, probably of stone. Slated roof with
deeply projecting eaves. Gables have stone copings supported at the front by shaped
corbels. Chimneystack at apex of each gable, that to left of granite ashlar, that
to right rendered. L-shaped plan, with double-depth front range. 2 storeys.
Symmetrical 3-window front. Windows have eared cement architraves; C20 wood and
plastic glazing. Granite window-sills supported at each end by shaped brackets.
Doorway in centre has 6-panelled door with 3-panelled reveals, the lowest tier of
panels flush. Porch supported by 2 granite Doric columns of slightly eccentric
design; now enclosed and the entablature replaced.
Interior: only partly inspected. Left-hand front room has panelled shutters and a
simple original chimneypiece that appears to be of wood. Open well staircase of
wood, with column-newels and thin square balusters. Rear wing has 2 large
fireplaces with plain granite lintels. In 1844 the house, then called Linchover,
was owned and occupied by Henry Caunter
Source: Devon Record Office, Widecombe tithe map and apportionment.


Listing NGR: SX7016274050

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.