This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0687 / 51°4'7"N
Longitude: -1.7987 / 1°47'55"W
OS Eastings: 414202
OS Northings: 129946
OS Grid: SU142299
Mapcode National: GBR 517.VFR
Mapcode Global: FRA 7639.C2X
Plus Code: 9C3W3692+FG
Entry Name: Clock Tower Including Part of Former County Jail
Listing Date: 12 October 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1260194
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319140
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP2
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Salisbury St Thomas and St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
Clock Tower including
part of former County Jail
SU 1429 NW 3/467
1892. Gothic clock tower. Ashlar with bands pointed niche and 2 lancets
to upper register. Buttressed base with niche to street face and inscription.
Clock faces flanked by columns, pierced parapet, pyramid roof with weathervane.
The rectangular ashlar base was formerly part of the County Jail dating from
1631 with Georgian alterations. 2 small rectangular barred windows to east.
Door inserted to street. On west wall a plaque, with shaped top, has relief
carving of 3 leg irons with swagged chains.
Listing NGR: SU1420229946
Other nearby listed buildings