History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Etheldreda

A Grade II* Listed Building in West Halton, North Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6762 / 53°40'34"N

Longitude: -0.6313 / 0°37'52"W

OS Eastings: 490512

OS Northings: 420838

OS Grid: SE905208

Mapcode National: GBR ST1X.4X

Mapcode Global: WHGFT.8VNN

Plus Code: 9C5XM9G9+FF

Entry Name: Church of St Etheldreda

Listing Date: 6 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1260344

English Heritage Legacy ID: 440993

Location: West Halton, North Lincolnshire, DN15

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: West Halton

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: West Halton St Etheldreda

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Winteringham

Listing Text

SE 92 SW WEST HALTON COLEBY ROAD
(east side)

2/17 Church of St Etheldreda


6.11.67 II*
GV

Church. Medieval origins, rebuilt 1698 using medieval masonry and details,
including C13-14 traceried windows. Porch, vestry and nave gallery added
1837; restored and chancel rebuilt 1876-7. West tower, 3-bay nave with
north vestry and south porch, 2-bay chancel. Coursed limestone rubble with
limestone ashlar dressings. Lead roofs to nave and chancel; slate roofs to
porch and vestry. Chamfered plinth, quoins. 2-stage tower: stepped
diagonal buttresses, round-headed west window with raised imposts and
keystone, moulded string course, round-headed 2-light belfry openings with
chamfered jambs and Y-tracery, gargoyles to north and south, embattled
parapet with crocketed angle pinnacles. Nave: 3 pointed 3-light windows
with Perpendicular tracery and one pointed 3-light north window with re-set
intersecting tracery. Porch has pointed chamfered outer arch, inner
slightly pointed chamfered arch with moulded imposts and raised keystone.
Vestry has round-headed west window with wooden Y-tracery. Chancel: stepped
buttresses with moulded bases, moulded cill band, windows similar to nave,
(C19 tracery to east window), with a fine series of carved headstops; coped
gable and shaped kneelers. Interior: round-headed tower door with raised
imposts; nave gallery at west end with painted Gothic-style panelled front
supported on pair of slender cast iron columns with foliate capitals;
pointed double-chamfered chancel arch on shafted responds with plain moulded
capitals. Chancel has moulded cill band, carved headstops to windows and
carved roof corbels. Memorials: gravestone of 1666 to J. Merriweather,
Rector, in chancel floor; 1782 marble wall tablet with draped urn to John
flail and wife Hannah. Moulded octagonal pulpit base and steps. C17 font in
tower, made from medieval column and base. N Pevsner and J Harris, The
Buildings of England: Lincolnshsire, 1978,"419; Drawing by C Nattes, 1794,
Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.


Listing NGR: SE9051220838

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.