History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lower Hill

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tockholes, Blackburn with Darwen

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7013 / 53°42'4"N

Longitude: -2.5222 / 2°31'19"W

OS Eastings: 365620

OS Northings: 422888

OS Grid: SD656228

Mapcode National: GBR BTTM.RX

Mapcode Global: WH977.776C

Plus Code: 9C5VPF2H+G4

Entry Name: Lower Hill

Listing Date: 27 August 1952

Last Amended: 27 September 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1260460

English Heritage Legacy ID: 440646

Location: Tockholes, Blackburn with Darwen, BB3

County: Blackburn with Darwen

Civil Parish: Tockholes

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Darwen St Cuthbert with Tockholes

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Withnell

Listing Text

SD 62 SE TOCKHOLES OLD SCHOOL LANE

4/68 Nos. 1 to 4 (consecutive) Lower Hill
27.8.1952 (formerly listed as Manor House,
Chapels(Centre Portion)and Manor
house,Chapels(East and West Portions)
GV II*

Large farmhouse, probably early C17, now 4 dwellings. Coursed sandstone
rubble with quoins, roof of stone slate and slate with gable copings and
kneelers, one chimney on the ridge, another at the left gable, and external
chimneys to rear of 2nd bay and at right side of wing. F-plan of 3 bays
length (the long 1st bay laterally divided),with projecting porch at the
middle of the main range and a crosswing at the right end. Two storeys,
the gabled projections 2½ storeys; all original windows recessed with chamfered
surrounds and chamfered mullions, those at the front having hoodmoulds. The
2½-storey gabled porch has a large doorway offset to the right with moulded
surround, large lintel, and hoodmould, a small window to the left of it, a
4-light window offset to the right at 1st floor, and a 2-light attic window
with a straight dripmould crossing the gable above it. To the left the
1st bay has altered openings to both floors on the left, mullioned windows
of 4 and 3 lights on the right (and there is an inserted door to No. 2 in
the side wall of the porch); to the right the hallpart has a king-mullioned
window of 5+3 lights, and a 4-light window above; the 2½ storey wing has an
inserted doorway, windows on each floor of 5, 4 and 2 lights (a straight
dripmould crossing the gable) and at 1st floor of re-entrant a small
round-headed light. At left end is a later addition (not included in the
item); at right end an added stable or workshop, and projecting chimney
stack with off-sets. Rear is now mostly concealed by later lean-to additions,
but one mullioned window at ground floor and 4 at 1st floor remain, and very
large chimney stack with off-sets breaks through the lean-to at the back of
the 2nd bay. Interior: in the hallpart (No. 3) a very large stone arched
inglenook fireplace, and 2 quarter-round moulded beams; in the porch (No. 2)
a stone quarter-turn staircase, and in the room to the left of this a very
large stop-chamfered beam; stone-flagged upper floors; various original
ground floor openings to the rear, including back doorway opposed to main
door.


Listing NGR: SD6562022888

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.