History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade I Listed Building in Rippingale, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8367 / 52°50'12"N

Longitude: -0.3717 / 0°22'18"W

OS Eastings: 509780

OS Northings: 327815

OS Grid: TF097278

Mapcode National: GBR GV3.2V2

Mapcode Global: WHGL0.8Y7Q

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 30 October 1968

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1260603

English Heritage Legacy ID: 440290

Location: Rippingale, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, PE10

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Rippingale

Built-Up Area: Rippingale

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Rippingale St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Rippingale

Listing Text

RIPPINGALE HIGH STREET
TF 02 NW
(north side)
6/182 Church of
30.10.68 St. Andrew
G.V. I

Parish church. Mid C13, c.1300, c.1350, mid C15, C16, restored
1860. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone ashlar, some red
brick, some render. Lead roofs with stone coped gables with
cross finials. West tower, nave with broad, long south aisle
running full length of church, with south porch and chancel. Mid
C15 west tower with moulded plinth and frieze of shields on
cusped fields continuing over multistage angle buttresses. Slit
stair lights immediately to the left of south west buttress.
Pointed west window with incipient double bowtell moulded
surround, 3 barely pointed, cusped lights, panel tracery and hood
mould. Small doorway in south side with shield carved on lintel
and plank door. Small, narrow light with barely pointed head
above to west and south. Clock above to east and south. Bell
openings on all four sides, each a pair of narrow, deeply moulded
openings, each in turn divided into 2 pointed cusped lights with
transom, hood moulds. Moulded eaves above with 2 projecting
gargoyles on both the west and south sides. Battlements and
ornate corner pinnacles. Mid C14 north wall of nave with plinth
and 4 regularly placed 2 stage buttresses. Doorway to west with
pointed head, continuous chamfered surround, hood mould with head
label stops and plank door. 2 windows to left, that to east
broader, both-with pointed heads, 3 ogee headed cupsed lights and
flowing tracery. Clerestory immediately above on same plane,
with 3 windows each with flattened triangular head, 3 round
headed cusped lights and hood moulds. Moulded eaves above.
Shallow east gable of nave of brick. North side with window with
flattened triangular head, 3 cusped, triangular headed lights and
hood mould. Parapet above partially patched with brick. East
end of chancel with large pointed window with 3 cusped lights
with pointed and ogee shaped heads, cusped oculus, hood mould and
head label stops. Broader east end of south aisle running
parallel with east end of chancel, with moulded plinth and
flanking single stage buttresses. Large pointed window of c.1300
with 4 trefoil headed lights, large, delicately moulded
geometrical tracery, hood mould and head label stops. South side
of aisle rendered and no structural definition of chancel and
nave. Moulded plinth and regularly placed single storey
buttresses. 3 pointed windows of c.1300, each with 2 trefoil
headed lights and large, delicately moulded geometrical tracery
and hood moulds. Pointed doorway below and to the left of the
central window with richly moulded head and 3 orders of shafts
with moulded capitals, hood mould and plank door. Sundial
immediately above westernmost window. C14 gabled south porch to
left with moulded plinth and large, round headed doorway, moulded
with two orders, and with trefoiled responds, the central, larger
rolls with fillets, moulded capitals, hood mould with head label
stops. Porch interior flanked by stone benches. Interior south
doorway with pointed head, continuous double chamfered surround,
hood mould and double plank doors. West end of south aisle with
plinth and pointed plate traceried window restored in C19, with 2
pointed lights, quatrefoil and hood mould. Interior tower arch
with pointed, moulded head, very tall jambs of 2 orders with
concave mouldings and castellated capitals, hood mould, and
moulded plinth with frieze of shields on cusped fields. Original
roof line of nave visible above tower arch. Projecting
buttresses flank tower. Tower interior with numerous painted
boards recording benevolent bequests and single faded hatchment.
6 bay arcade runs down full length of nave and chancel, of
c.1300, with quatrefoiled piers with continuous hollows and
fillets, moulded capitals and pointed, double chamfered heads
with hood moulds. Chancel east wall to right of altar with C19
piscina with pointed moulded head supported on single flanking
shafts. South aisle with trefoil headed piscina with gable of
c.1300. To east of porch doorway is a blocked, broad, pointed
tomb recess with continuous chamfered surround. South aisle
with recumbent female effigy, possibly of Margaret de Coellville
who married John Gobard in first half C14. Richly cusped and
finialled ogee shaped canopy with ball flower decoration and
supported on large head label stops. Table tomb beneath effigy
with 7 gabled niches with ornate pinnacles. Effigy with ornate
canopy held over head by mutilated armoured figures, flowing
drapery, hands clasped in prayer, coif and wimple. Mid C13
effigy laid on C20 table tomb, of Sir Hugh Gobard, deacon,with
richly flowing vestments, surrounding band of stiff leaf foliage,
feet resting on 2 large stiff leaf whorls, tonsored head and
clasping open book inscribed, faintly, with: "Here lies High
Gofoed the palmer son of John Goboed...Pray for his soul". Next
to him lies a mid C13 effigy of cross-legged knight in chain
mail, resting on C20 tomb chest, possibly of Sir Guy Gobard, with
hands clasped in prayer, lion at feet and fragmentary sword. To
east of Gobard effigies, a gravely mutilated effigy set in floor.
Large late C15 table tomb with 3 effigies of Roger de Quincey
flanked by his 2 wives. Mutilated angels support their pillowed
heads and mutilated dogs, their feet, de Quincey has cropped
hair, armour and is now legless. His wives are also severely
mutilated, dressed in flowing robes. Table tomb itself is
decorated by ornate canopied panels with angels supporting
shields and shields suspended from flowerheads and grotesque
heads; a large helmet with flaming brands and several other
shields. Monuments include: black and white marble oval to
Frances Waters, died 1828; white sepulchre on black field to
Rev. William Waters, died 1853: large white oval supported on
scrolled bracket to Wade Gascoigne, died 1801; brass with
foliate decoratrion to Alfred Cooper, died 1866; fine white with
grey streaked marble monument with flanking ionic columns
supporting entablature and broken pediment with cartouche rising
from broken apex, to the 5 infant children of Richard Brownlow
who died in the 1650s and 1660s. Monuments in south aisle
include one to Richard Quincey, died 1813, in black and white
marble; slate and white marble with ornate lettering to
Elizabeth Quincey, died 1741, slate monument with broken pediment
and human head set in broken apex, to Richard Quincey, died 1757;
black and white marble with urn, to John Quincey, died 1827;
alabaster monument supported on 2 human heads, to Elizabeth
Bacon, died 1830; black and white marble monument to Robert
Younger, died 1856 and 3 black and white marble monuments to
Sarah Younger, died 1850; Robert Grummit, died 1852, and Jane
Shield, died 1857. C15 octagonal font on a 2 stepped broad
octagonal plinth, octagonal pedestal and with cusped panels
containing flower heads and shields. C16 tie beam roofs with
curved braces and rosette bosses. Loft coving of rood screen at
entrance to chancel. Pews, choir stalls, lectern and altar rail
of 1896. Chest of 1785. C20 stone pulpit.


Listing NGR: TF0978027815

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

RIPPINGALE HIGH STREET
TF 02 NW
(north side)
6/182 Church of
30.10.68 St. Andrew
G.V. I

Parish church. Mid C13, c.1300, c.1350, mid C15, C16, restored
1860. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone ashlar, some red
brick, some render. Lead roofs with stone coped gables with
cross finials. West tower, nave with broad, long south aisle
running full length of church, with south porch and chancel. Mid
C15 west tower with moulded plinth and frieze of shields on
cusped fields continuing over multistage angle buttresses. Slit
stair lights immediately to the left of south west buttress.
Pointed west window with incipient double bowtell moulded
surround, 3 barely pointed, cusped lights, panel tracery and hood
mould. Small doorway in south side with shield carved on lintel
and plank door. Small, narrow light with barely pointed head
above to west and south. Clock above to east and south. Bell
openings on all four sides, each a pair of narrow, deeply moulded
openings, each in turn divided into 2 pointed cusped lights with
transom, hood moulds. Moulded eaves above with 2 projecting
gargoyles on both the west and south sides. Battlements and
ornate corner pinnacles. Mid C14 north wall of nave with plinth
and 4 regularly placed 2 stage buttresses. Doorway to west with
pointed head, continuous chamfered surround, hood mould with head
label stops and plank door. 2 windows to left, that to east
broader, both-with pointed heads, 3 ogee headed cupsed lights and
flowing tracery. Clerestory immediately above on same plane,
with 3 windows each with flattened triangular head, 3 round
headed cusped lights and hood moulds. Moulded eaves above.
Shallow east gable of nave of brick. North side with window with
flattened triangular head, 3 cusped, triangular headed lights and
hood mould. Parapet above partially patched with brick. East
end of chancel with large pointed window with 3 cusped lights
with pointed and ogee shaped heads, cusped oculus, hood mould and
head label stops. Broader east end of south aisle running
parallel with east end of chancel, with moulded plinth and
flanking single stage buttresses. Large pointed window of c.1300
with 4 trefoil headed lights, large, delicately moulded
geometrical tracery, hood mould and head label stops. South side
of aisle rendered and no structural definition of chancel and
nave. Moulded plinth and regularly placed single storey
buttresses. 3 pointed windows of c.1300, each with 2 trefoil
headed lights and large, delicately moulded geometrical tracery
and hood moulds. Pointed doorway below and to the left of the
central window with richly moulded head and 3 orders of shafts
with moulded capitals, hood mould and plank door. Sundial
immediately above westernmost window. C14 gabled south porch to
left with moulded plinth and large, round headed doorway, moulded
with two orders, and with trefoiled responds, the central, larger
rolls with fillets, moulded capitals, hood mould with head label
stops. Porch interior flanked by stone benches. Interior south
doorway with pointed head, continuous double chamfered surround,
hood mould and double plank doors. West end of south aisle with
plinth and pointed plate traceried window restored in C19, with 2
pointed lights, quatrefoil and hood mould. Interior tower arch
with pointed, moulded head, very tall jambs of 2 orders with
concave mouldings and castellated capitals, hood mould, and
moulded plinth with frieze of shields on cusped fields. Original
roof line of nave visible above tower arch. Projecting
buttresses flank tower. Tower interior with numerous painted
boards recording benevolent bequests and single faded hatchment.
6 bay arcade runs down full length of nave and chancel, of
c.1300, with quatrefoiled piers with continuous hollows and
fillets, moulded capitals and pointed, double chamfered heads
with hood moulds. Chancel east wall to right of altar with C19
piscina with pointed moulded head supported on single flanking
shafts. South aisle with trefoil headed piscina with gable of
c.1300. To east of porch doorway is a blocked, broad, pointed
tomb recess with continuous chamfered surround. South aisle
with recumbent female effigy, possibly of Margaret de Coellville
who married John Gobard in first half C14. Richly cusped and
finialled ogee shaped canopy with ball flower decoration and
supported on large head label stops. Table tomb beneath effigy
with 7 gabled niches with ornate pinnacles. Effigy with ornate
canopy held over head by mutilated armoured figures, flowing
drapery, hands clasped in prayer, coif and wimple. Mid C13
effigy laid on C20 table tomb, of Sir Hugh Gobard, deacon,with
richly flowing vestments, surrounding band of stiff leaf foliage,
feet resting on 2 large stiff leaf whorls, tonsored head and
clasping open book inscribed, faintly, with: "Here lies High
Gofoed the palmer son of John Goboed...Pray for his soul". Next
to him lies a mid C13 effigy of cross-legged knight in chain
mail, resting on C20 tomb chest, possibly of Sir Guy Gobard, with
hands clasped in prayer, lion at feet and fragmentary sword. To
east of Gobard effigies, a gravely mutilated effigy set in floor.
Large late C15 table tomb with 3 effigies of Roger de Quincey
flanked by his 2 wives. Mutilated angels support their pillowed
heads and mutilated dogs, their feet, de Quincey has cropped
hair, armour and is now legless. His wives are also severely
mutilated, dressed in flowing robes. Table tomb itself is
decorated by ornate canopied panels with angels supporting
shields and shields suspended from flowerheads and grotesque
heads; a large helmet with flaming brands and several other
shields. Monuments include: black and white marble oval to
Frances Waters, died 1828; white sepulchre on black field to
Rev. William Waters, died 1853: large white oval supported on
scrolled bracket to Wade Gascoigne, died 1801; brass with
foliate decoratrion to Alfred Cooper, died 1866; fine white with
grey streaked marble monument with flanking ionic columns
supporting entablature and broken pediment with cartouche rising
from broken apex, to the 5 infant children of Richard Brownlow
who died in the 1650s and 1660s. Monuments in south aisle
include one to Richard Quincey, died 1813, in black and white
marble; slate and white marble with ornate lettering to
Elizabeth Quincey, died 1741, slate monument with broken pediment
and human head set in broken apex, to Richard Quincey, died 1757;
black and white marble with urn, to John Quincey, died 1827;
alabaster monument supported on 2 human heads, to Elizabeth
Bacon, died 1830; black and white marble monument to Robert
Younger, died 1856 and 3 black and white marble monuments to
Sarah Younger, died 1850; Robert Grummit, died 1852, and Jane
Shield, died 1857. C15 octagonal font on a 2 stepped broad
octagonal plinth, octagonal pedestal and with cusped panels
containing flower heads and shields. C16 tie beam roofs with
curved braces and rosette bosses. Loft coving of rood screen at
entrance to chancel. Pews, choir stalls, lectern and altar rail
of 1896. Chest of 1785. C20 stone pulpit.


Listing NGR: TF0978027815

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.