History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St George

A Grade II Listed Building in Stanley, County Durham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8571 / 54°51'25"N

Longitude: -1.7049 / 1°42'17"W

OS Eastings: 419042

OS Northings: 551403

OS Grid: NZ190514

Mapcode National: GBR JDJ8.PN

Mapcode Global: WHC48.S5BV

Entry Name: Church of St George

Listing Date: 21 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1260778

English Heritage Legacy ID: 439552

Location: Stanley, County Durham, DH9

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Stanley

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Stanley and South Moor

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Beamish Station

Listing Text

NZ 15 SE STANLEY SOUTH MOOR ROAD
(West side)
South Moor
7/193 Church of St.George
GV II
Parish church. 1897 by J.W. Thompson. Thinly-rendered sandstone rubble with
plinth, quoins and ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with red ridge tiles and
stone gable copings. Nave with south porch and north transept vestry; chancel
with north organ chamber and porch. Gabled south porch has triple-chamfered
2-centred arch, with wide moulded stops; boarded double doors with elaborate
hinges; gable coping, roll moulded gable finial and moulded kneelers. Chamfered
lancet windows, paired in nave, in alternate-block surrounds; 3-light west
window with flat bar tracery, under gabled bellcote; plate-traceried 5-light
east window. Buttresses with offsets define nave bays. Doors in vestry and
north porch in similar style to south door. Steeply-pitched roof has stone
cross finial.
Interior: painted plaster over boarded dado and panelled chancel dado; panelled
boarded roof, with stencil patterns in chancel; wide 2-centred chamfered chancel
arch, and paired transept arches, with boarded screen to vestry. Glass includes
window in south aisle 1923 by Baguley; south chancel windows Sts. Mary, George
and Michael, the Michael of high quality. Octagonal stone font; very high
quality pews throughout, the 1937 gift of subscribers named on west wall plaque,
by Thompson of Masham; thick, square-ended adze-dressed oak, with simple
alternate-chiselled decoration on ends; mouse carved in three places. Ogee
oak font cover also by Thompson of Masham.


Listing NGR: NZ1904251403

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.