This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9092 / 54°54'33"N
Longitude: -1.7667 / 1°46'0"W
OS Eastings: 415055
OS Northings: 557187
OS Grid: NZ150571
Mapcode National: GBR JC3N.9Z
Mapcode Global: WHC3V.TVWX
Entry Name: Former Paper Mill
Listing Date: 1 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1260859
English Heritage Legacy ID: 439244
Location: County Durham, NE39
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Burnopfield and Dipton
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Burnopfield and Dipton
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 15 NE STANLEY A 694 (South side)
2/135 (inset) Former Paper Mill
Farmer Paper Mill, now printing ink manufacturer's premises. Probably c. 1840 for
James Annandale, on site occupied by corn mill since C17 and by paper mill
since 1703. Sandstone ashlar with quoins; Welsh slate roof with yellow ridge
tiles and stone gable copings. Irregular plan. South elevation towards lane:
2 gabled blocks linked by block with hipped roof; long low block breaks forward
from the right of the hip-roofed block.
First gabled block of 3 storeys, 2 bays has right bay obscured by linking block;
left ground-floor fixed light of 3 rows of 4 panes, with one opening pane;
similar but 9-pane window above; on top floor double boarded partly-glazed
loading doors with pulley girders projecting above. Curved blocks support
rectangular kneelers of coping with panelled block finial.
2-storey, 4-bay block at right has 16-pane sashes on first floor; ground floor
obscured by small later addition at left, and long one-storey range breaking
forward at right; hipped roof. One-storey range has double-pitch roofs extending
over low side sections; 4 windows with vertical glazing bars in left return;
shorter extension on right return obscured by goods. On front elevation a
gabled small addition.
To right of hip-roofed part, and partly obscured by one-storey range, a 2-storey,
2-bay gabled block has ground-floor blocked windows, 16-pane sashes above with
flat stone lintels and projecting stone sills, and 12-pane sash in gable peak;
gable has similar treatment to that at left of group. Interior not inspected.
The only surviving paper mill building on the Derwent, a river once renowned
for its usefulness in such manufacture. This mill made among other things
particularly strong cartridge paper, used for ammunition.
Source: Newcastle Central Library,Local Newspaper Cuttings, vol.59B p.316.
Listing NGR: NZ1505557187
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings