History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Heddington, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3949 / 51°23'41"N

Longitude: -2.0024 / 2°0'8"W

OS Eastings: 399928

OS Northings: 166205

OS Grid: ST999662

Mapcode National: GBR 2TF.JK0

Mapcode Global: VHB48.76RJ

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1261202

English Heritage Legacy ID: 438191

Location: Heddington, Wiltshire, SN11

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Heddington

Built-Up Area: Heddington

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Heddington St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Rowde

Listing Text

ST 96 NE HEDDINGTON CHURCH ROAD

5/127 Church of St. Andrew

20.12.60


GV II*

Anglican parish church, C13 to C15 with alterations possibly of C16
and C17, restored 1840-1 and 1976. Ashlar and rubble stone with
stone slate roofs. West tower, nave and aisles, north porch,
chancel and north east vestry. C15 battlemented 3-stage tower with
higher north stair-tower, moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses to
first stage, dripcourses and angle pinnacles. Three-light
Perpendicular west window over 4-centred arched moulded door, clock
face to second stage and 2-light bell-openings. Ashlar north aisle
possibly c1700 on earlier plinth. Moulded cornice, parapet, 2 tall
4-light flat-headed windows and angle buttresses. Central C15
coped gabled porch with moulded plinth, moulded eaves, diagonal
buttresses and moulded pointed north doorway with canopied niche
over. Angle finials and apex cross to gable. C14 moulded inner
doorway. South side has 2 large hipped dormers, C17 rebuilt 1976
and roof carried down over part-rendered south aisle with 3 flat-
headed C16 or C17 three-light windows. Chancel has no moulded
plinth, C15 pointed 2-light window to north and C15 flat-headed 2-
light to south. Another 2-light south window similar to south
aisle. Four-centred 3-light east window, Perpendicular style but
without cusping. North east vestry is gabled with C16 three-light
to north wall.
Interior: 1976 nave and south aisle roofs by Wyvern Design Group
with pine trusses, moulded Cl5 tower arch, C13 three-bay south
arcade of round piers and C14 three-bay north arcade with octagonal
piers. Round arched chancel arch renewed c1840 with applied timber
nailhead moulding. Plastered chancel roof. North chamfered arch
to vestry. All windows with C20 leading except east window with
C19patterned glass. Late C18 organ. Norman style font, possibly
original remoulded c1840. Chancel wall plaques of 1669 and 1836 by
E.H. Baily and vestry plaque of 1610.
(N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975, 265-6; R.J. Cole, A history of
Heddington and its church n.d.)


Listing NGR: ST9992866205

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.