This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1815 / 51°10'53"N
Longitude: 0.3103 / 0°18'37"E
OS Eastings: 561572
OS Northings: 145007
OS Grid: TQ615450
Mapcode National: GBR NQL.THZ
Mapcode Global: VHHQ7.BKDN
Entry Name: Milking Parlour and Cider House Immediately South of Park Farmhouse
Listing Date: 24 August 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1261451
English Heritage Legacy ID: 437509
Location: Capel, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN11
District: Tunbridge Wells
Civil Parish: Capel
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Tudeley cum Capel with Five Oak Green
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 64 NW CAPEL TUDELEY LANE (off), SOMERHILL
1/302 Milking parlour and cider
house immediately south of
Milking parlour and cider house; partly adapted as a refrigerated fruit store.
Probably circa 1850, architect unknown to date; alterations of the 1980s.
Part of the home farm of Somerhill, now the Hadlow Estate. Mostly brick, with
sections of timber framing below the eaves; peg-tile roof with fleur de lis
crested ridge tiles.
Plan: Part of a designed Victorian farmstead with contemporary farmbuildings
in a style to match the Vernacular Revival farmhouse. The layout of the group
is picturesquely irregular and organized to look attractive as well as being
functional. This building is sited above and south of the farmhouse, roofed
on a north south axis with a west show front overlooking the farm lane, which
carries on past the farmstead to the estate laundry. The main block contained
a cider house to the north and housed machinery to the south, (information
from the farmer) second block adjoining at the south may have been a cartshed.
Milking parlour to the rear left (north east) under a 2-span roof, altered and
adapted for fruit storage.
Exterior: Main block 2 storeys, single-storey block to the south. Gable-
ended roofs with deep eaves and moulded eaves and verges brackets. Framed
sections arranged as cross-braced panels. Asymmetrical 3-window west front
plus a lower-roofed block at the right end. Brick ramp along the front at the
left, where the site slopes sharply away to the north. Large jettied framed
gable to left of centre carried on curved brackets with a pendant at the apex
and moulded brackets to the verges. Full height original paired plank doors
below with a glazed overlight and glazed flanking panels. Gabled dormers to
left and right with 2-light casements, 2 panes per light; similar window to
the right of the paired doors, under the eaves, timber loft door to the left.
2 2-light casements to ground floor right, probably C20 door to ground floor
left. The single-storey building has a central gable with moulded verges
brackets above an original 2-leaf full-height door with a glazed overlight.
The left return of the main block is tile-hung on the first floor, brick
below. The gable ends of the milking parlour have 4-light windows and curved
braces in the gables.
Interior: The milking parlour is 2-bays deep, some of the posts have been
removed to accommodate the fruit storage unit.
Listing NGR: TQ6157845026
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings