This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7964 / 50°47'46"N
Longitude: -3.7438 / 3°44'37"W
OS Eastings: 277202
OS Northings: 101092
OS Grid: SS772010
Mapcode National: GBR L5.Z1DX
Mapcode Global: FRA 361Z.P9C
Plus Code: 9C2RQ7W4+GF
Entry Name: Browns Farmhouse Including Outbuildings Adjoining to East and North
Listing Date: 26 August 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1262078
English Heritage Legacy ID: 435813
Location: Colebrooke, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
Civil Parish: Colebrooke
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Colebrooke
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 70 SE
3/104 Browns Farmhouse including
outbuildings adjoining to east
Farmhouse, formerly The Ship Inn, and attached outbuildings. Farmhouse has C17
fabric but was rebuilt in late C18-early C19. Outbuildings are late C19, those to
east are circa 1870 according to owner. Farmhouse and northern outbuildings are
plastered cob on rubble footings, eastern outbuildings and northern barn of exposed
local stone rubble; cob or rubble stacks topped with C19 or C20 brick; thatch
roof to farmhouse and nearest outbuildings, corrugated iron and slate to outer
L-shaped farmhouse. Main block faces south and has a 2-room and central through
passage plan, the left (western) room with a projecting end stack and the right
eastern room with a rear lateral stack. Service room to rear of left room with
disused end kitchen stack. Attached to right end of the farmhouse is a former
stable block with hayloft over and with a lean-to harness room or implement shed on
the right end. To the rear of the farmhouse service room is a former butcher's
shop and slaughter house with a barn behind (north).
Farmhouse is 2 storeys with symmetrical 3-window front of late cl9-early C20
casements with glazing bars and contemporary central plank door which contains a
pair of small windows. Roof is hipped each end and hipped to rear over service
room which also has late cl9-early C20 casements on west-facing side. The rubble
former stable block to right and set back a little from main front has central
double doors flanked by glazed windows, and, at first floor level, a central
loading hatch and shuttered window to left. The windows here and door to the lean-
to shed alongside to right have segnental arches over. The stable roof is thatched
and hipped to right; the shed roof is slated. The rear (northern) outbuildings
face onto the road to west. The former butchers shop adjoining the farmhouse
service roan is single storey with 3 windows under segmental arches, the central
window blocking the original doorway. It has a gable-ended thatched roof. To left
(north) is a rubble barn with gable-ended corrugated iron roof. Its main (west
facing) front comprises large double doorway to threshing floor towards right end
and 2 unglazed windows to left with buttresses between.
Interior: carpentry detail in farmhouse is hidden by C19 plaster. The exterior of
the right end wall of the main block is exposed in the stable block and clearly
shows 2 cob builds. The C17 work complete wth gable includes an oak 2-light window
with chamfered mullion at first floor level. The late C18 - early Cl9 cob shows
that at that time the house was widened towards the front and raised in height.
Roof of tie bean trusses with King post nailed to the front of each truss.
Outbuilding interiors show plain C19 carpentry detail except stable block includes
a reused early C17 ogee-moulded bean with step stops.
Coleford is an unusually unspoilt and picturesque hamlet. According to the owner
Browns Farm was formerly the Ship Inn which was licensed in 1815.
Listing NGR: SS7720201092
Other nearby listed buildings