This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.644 / 52°38'38"N
Longitude: -1.6244 / 1°37'27"W
OS Eastings: 425510
OS Northings: 305207
OS Grid: SK255052
Mapcode National: GBR 5GT.B3G
Mapcode Global: WHCGZ.0SRX
Plus Code: 9C4WJ9VG+J6
Entry Name: Church of St Matthew
Listing Date: 23 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1262206
English Heritage Legacy ID: 435611
Location: Shuttington, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, B79
Civil Parish: Shuttington
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: North Warwickshire All Souls
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SK2ONE Church of St Matthew
Church. C12 and C14; west front altered and turret added c.1666 extensively
restored and altered by W.H. Bidlake 1908-1909. Sandstone rubble; angles and
west front of regular coursed sandstone. Old plain-tile roofs; coped west gable
parapet has segmental pediment. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Romanesque style.
Windows are mostly of 1908-09, with moulded arches and nook shafts witfi
scalloped capitals. Chancel has single east and north windows. South-east window
has part of a C14 opening to the right. C14 straight-headed south-west window of
2 ogee lights. Nave has 2- windows to north and south. South-west window is
inserted into a blocked C12 Romanesque doorway, which retains part of a
roll-moulded arch. West front has slightly projecting C12 portal with pilaster
butresses, inner and outer arches, eroded zig-zag arch with nook shafts, and
hood mould with remains of nailhead decoration. C19 studded double-leaf doors.
Small trefoiled lancets to left and right have cornices, probably C17, above.
Gable has moulded window with cusped Y-tracery, Turret has late C20
weatherboarding. Pyramid roof. Interior is plastered. Chancel has hammerbeam
roof, and Romanesque style chancel arch with shafts and carbels of 1908-1909.
Nave has C17/C18 collar beam roof, possibly partly reconstructed. Fittings: C18
pulpit has fielded panels. Simple roof font of indeterminate date.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p398; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol lV, pp213-214
Listing NGR: SK2551005207
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings