History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chaucer's House

A Grade II Listed Building in Woodstock, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8477 / 51°50'51"N

Longitude: -1.3585 / 1°21'30"W

OS Eastings: 444283

OS Northings: 216765

OS Grid: SP442167

Mapcode National: GBR 7WH.5BJ

Mapcode Global: VHCX6.DTND

Entry Name: Chaucer's House

Listing Date: 18 October 1949

Last Amended: 27 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1262222

English Heritage Legacy ID: 435553

Location: Woodstock, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX20

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Woodstock

Built-Up Area: Woodstock

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Woodstock

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Woodstock

Listing Text

WOODSTOCK PARK STREET
SP4416NW (North side)
9/214 No.28 (Chaucer's House)
18/10/49 (Formerly listed as Chaucer's
House)
GV II
House. Medieval origins; mainly late C17 for Nicholas Baynton M.P.: refronted
c.1740 and extended to right c.1836 for Prior family. Coursed limestone rubble;
gabled stone slate roof, with concrete tiles to part of rear, and Welsh slates
to early C19 rear wing. Brick ridge stack to left and end stack to right. L-plan
with medieval rear left wing. 2 storeys; 4-window range. Early C19 bay to right:
reset mid C18 six-panelled door set in mid C19 raised segmental-arched
architrave with key and impost blocks; early C19 six-pane sash above mid C18
six-pane sash with thick glazing bars, both set in keyed and raised architraves.
Mid C18 three-window range to left, has raised storey bands and parapet and
early C19 eight-pane sashes set in keyed and raised architraves; C19 round
window set in central blocked doorway. Early C19 rendering to rear, with sashes
and fine French windows set in coved architrave. Early C19 rear wing, with mid
C19 one-storey bay added to rear. Rear left wing of limestone rubble with gabled
stone slate roof; of medieval origins, truncated in mid C19; mid C19 rear gable
has reset C14 cusped light. Interior: C18 and C19 panelled doors; early C19
extension to right, has early C19 bracketed marble fireplace to rear. Front
range, of C17 two-unit lobby-entry plan, has early C19 fireplace with paterae,
and fine mid C18 panelled room with dentilled cornice and marble fireplace to
left; dog-leg with winder staircase to rear, has late C17 splat balusters reset
in early C19 frame with carved pendentives to ground-floor archway; 4-bay
butt-purlin roof, with curved feet to principle rafters on left. Wing to rear
left, of medieval origins, has foot of C14/15 principle rafter set into wall.
Named Chaucer's House from C16 after its former owner Sir Thomas Chaucer
(d.1434) a royal official and Oxfordshire M.P. Used as retreat for St. John's
College in mid C16.
(Information from VCR)


Listing NGR: SP4428316765

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

WOODSTOCK PARK STREET
SP4416NW (North side)
9/214 No.28 (Chaucer's House)
18/10/49 (Formerly listed as Chaucer's
House)
GV II
House. Medieval origins; mainly late C17 for Nicholas Baynton M.P.: refronted
c.1740 and extended to right c.1836 for Prior family. Coursed limestone rubble;
gabled stone slate roof, with concrete tiles to part of rear, and Welsh slates
to early C19 rear wing. Brick ridge stack to left and end stack to right. L-plan
with medieval rear left wing. 2 storeys; 4-window range. Early C19 bay to right:
reset mid C18 six-panelled door set in mid C19 raised segmental-arched
architrave with key and impost blocks; early C19 six-pane sash above mid C18
six-pane sash with thick glazing bars, both set in keyed and raised architraves.
Mid C18 three-window range to left, has raised storey bands and parapet and
early C19 eight-pane sashes set in keyed and raised architraves; C19 round
window set in central blocked doorway. Early C19 rendering to rear, with sashes
and fine French windows set in coved architrave. Early C19 rear wing, with mid
C19 one-storey bay added to rear. Rear left wing of limestone rubble with gabled
stone slate roof; of medieval origins, truncated in mid C19; mid C19 rear gable
has reset C14 cusped light. Interior: C18 and C19 panelled doors; early C19
extension to right, has early C19 bracketed marble fireplace to rear. Front
range, of C17 two-unit lobby-entry plan, has early C19 fireplace with paterae,
and fine mid C18 panelled room with dentilled cornice and marble fireplace to
left; dog-leg with winder staircase to rear, has late C17 splat balusters reset
in early C19 frame with carved pendentives to ground-floor archway; 4-bay
butt-purlin roof, with curved feet to principle rafters on left. Wing to rear
left, of medieval origins, has foot of C14/15 principle rafter set into wall.
Named Chaucer's House from C16 after its former owner Sir Thomas Chaucer
(d.1434) a royal official and Oxfordshire M.P. Used as retreat for St. John's
College in mid C16.
(Information from VCR)


Listing NGR: SP4428316765

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.