History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Bartholomew House

A Grade II Listed Building in City of London, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5186 / 51°31'7"N

Longitude: -0.1002 / 0°6'0"W

OS Eastings: 531910

OS Northings: 181676

OS Grid: TQ319816

Mapcode National: GBR P9.NS

Mapcode Global: VHGR0.63W5

Entry Name: St Bartholomew House

Listing Date: 5 July 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1262479

English Heritage Legacy ID: 434958

Location: City of London, London, EC1A

County: London

District: City and County of the City of London

Electoral Ward/Division: Farringdon Within

Built-Up Area: City of London

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London

Church of England Parish: Great St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
London

Listing Text

WEST SMITHFIELD
TQ 3181
2/37 Nos 58-59
(St Bartholomew House)
II
GV

Bank office building and Lyons tea-room, now restaurant. 1906 by George Vickery for Biggarstaff, bankers; built in 3 phases; rear left block rebuilt 1925; late C20 alterations. Cream brick, the main façade clad in Portland stone with granite lower course, returns having cream tiles to ground floor. Slate mansard roof. 5 storeys and attic; 5-window range with canted bay to left. Central entry has finely-carved Art Nouveau trees with stylised gnarled roots flanking cavetto-moulded semi-circular arched fanlight with lion¿s mask keystone above square-headed doorway. Egg and dart cornice above large glazing-bar window and doorway to tight and large Ipswich window and entrance with engaged rusticated columns to left. Upper floors, which have square-headed casement windows, are articulated by full-height polygonal pilaster strips: those flanking central bay have similar Art Nouveau carvings where they meet cornice at fourth-floor level, beneath 3-bay open segmental pediment with segmental-arched windows and richly-carved swags and armorial cartouche to tympanum; domed roof over stone dormer surmounting carved bay to left. Similar single bay to left side return has similar Art Nouveau carvings; rest of 5-bay return is very plain with square-headed windows, and segmental-arched windows to ground floor. Right return of 3 bays, the front 2 retaining original tea-room windows and having attached columns, cornices and decorative spandrels and metal grille over; console-bracketed fascia. Interior: banking office retains few original features apart from painted-over Art Nouveau tiles to stair lobby (on each floor), 2 small sections of original iron stair balustrade, and on 1st floor some doorways with leaded overlights, tiling and cornices. Former tea-rooms retain original wall marbling and mirrors to basement and ground floors, stair (altered), and, in basement, metal eaves grilles and panelled ceiling. The building has very strong group value and is notable for its Art Nouveau carvings and the surviving Lyons tea-room features.

Listing NGR: TQ3190981686

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.