This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2626 / 51°15'45"N
Longitude: -2.9417 / 2°56'30"W
OS Eastings: 334388
OS Northings: 151913
OS Grid: ST343519
Mapcode National: GBR M8.0LK7
Mapcode Global: VH7CY.YJPG
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1262673
English Heritage Legacy ID: 434372
Location: East Brent, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA9
Civil Parish: East Brent
Built-Up Area: East Brent
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Three Saints
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST35SN EAST BRENT CP CHURCH ROAD (South side)
5/63 Church of St Mary
Parish Church. C15,C17, restored C19 with chancel by William Butterfield. Coursed and squared rubble, gabled and
lean-to lead roofs, copings with cruciform finials. Nave, chancel, North aisle, North vestry, South porch, South
chapel, West tower. Perpendicular. Stone spired tower of 5 stages, angle buttresses to the lower 3 stages, above
diagonal buttresses, pierced parapet with pinnacles, embattled stair turret, narrow 2-light bell-chamber windows
repeated on the stage below; 3 crocketted niches to the West side, each with a figure; West window; West door; collar
of blank arcading to spire. Nave, North aisle and South chapel with 3-light windows; South chapel of 2-bays; North
aisle of 5 bays, slightly later, the exterior buttressed, above a pierced parapet with pinnacles. South porch restored,
traces of wall painting inside, C15 South door. Chancel rebuilt 1845. Interior dominated by ribbed plaster ceiling to
nave with 3 pendants, dated 1637. North aisle and South chapel with C19 lean-to roofs, the former on angel corbels.
South chapel with a 2 bay arcade, piers with 4-hollow type mouldings; North aisle with 5 bay arcade, piers with 4 wave
type mouldings. South chapel with crocketted niches to each side of South window, larger restored niche to North aisle.
C15 sedilla and triple piscina to chancel. West gallery incorporating part of the rood screen dated 1635; carved
columns with vine decoration and "Ionic" capitals; pulpit of 1635; emphatic eagle lectern of C15; good C15 bench ends.
Lessor fitments include C19 royal arms; C17 chest; C19 font; C19 pews; C18 coffin stool; bier dated 1734. Recumbant C14
effigy of a priest to South chapel, another to the North aisle. C18 wall monument to the chancel; 4 further C19 wall
monuments, that to South chapel most elaborate to Reed family by Casentini of Laibeth. Two Its stained glass windows to
East end of North aisle, further fragments of early glass in the North East window of the chancel. Much C19 stained
glass, particulary to the North aisle and the East and West windows, the former by O'connor of 1858; further North West
window to chancel of 1935 in the style of Rex Whistler. Encaustic tiles to chancel. (N Pevsner, Buildings of England,
South and West Somerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST3438751912
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings