History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Evangelist (Roman Catholic)

A Grade II Listed Building in Easingwold, North Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1186 / 54°7'7"N

Longitude: -1.1922 / 1°11'31"W

OS Eastings: 452901

OS Northings: 469497

OS Grid: SE529694

Mapcode National: GBR NN3T.PB

Mapcode Global: WHD94.NQHY

Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist (Roman Catholic)

Listing Date: 11 August 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1262689

English Heritage Legacy ID: 382348

Location: Easingwold, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO61

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Easingwold

Built-Up Area: Easingwold

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Easingwold with Raskelf

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Easingwold

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:-

SE 5269 EASINGWOLD
LONG STREET
200- /9/10002 CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
Roman Catholic Church

II

Roman Catholic church. 1830-33 by J A Hansom, altered 1870 by Hadfield & Sons of
Sheffield. Ashlar with ashlar dressings and slate roof Raised coped gables with kneelers.
Plinth. Single cell church with western porch. Gothic Revival style. West front has
projecting single storey porch with buttresses and a raised coped gable with kneelers and
a cross finial. Central pointed arch doorway with double plank doors in a chamfered
surround with hood mould. Behind a tall triple lancet set within 3 tall lancets with round
columns and double chamfered arches. Above a gabled bellcote with a pointed arch and
bell. At the corners diagonal buttresses with set-ofii. Eitherside 5 tall lancets in chamfered
openings with buttresses between, the south side has the eastern 2 bays masked by a later
brick lean-to. Interior: has panelled wooden roof a wooden west gallery and late C19
pews installed 1934. The elaborate Gothic style altar and reredos is stone with polished
marble columns, designed by Joseph Hansom Jnr in 1870.


Listing NGR: SE5290169497

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.