History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Stanhope Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Horncastle, Lincolnshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2087 / 53°12'31"N

Longitude: -0.1164 / 0°6'59"W

OS Eastings: 525890

OS Northings: 369618

OS Grid: TF258696

Mapcode National: GBR JSG.TMQ

Mapcode Global: WHHKJ.5LTZ

Entry Name: The Stanhope Memorial

Listing Date: 25 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1262721

English Heritage Legacy ID: 434291

Location: Horncastle, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN9

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Horncastle

Built-Up Area: Horncastle

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Horncastle Group

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Horncastle

Listing Text

TF 2569
6/55

HORNCASTLE
THE MARKET PLACE
(central)
The Stanhope Memorial

G.V.
II

Memorial to Edward Stanhope, M.P. 1894 by E. H. Lingen Barker.
Limestone ashlar, red sandstone, pink and grey streaked marble,
some copper. 3 octagonal steps lead up to memorial with moulded
octagonal plinth with 2 narrow bands of red sandstone. 8
pointed, richly cusped openings above set under crocketed gables
with large foliate stops, and supported on markble shafts with
shaft rings and moulded ashlar capitals and bases. Inside these
openings, diaper work, and alternate openings with ashlar motif:
to south, a relief of Edward Stanhope; to east, a shield with
castle and rampant lion and "Adeo et Rege" inscribed on ribbon
below; to north, another shield; to west a shield and
inscription: "Erected by public inscription in the memory of the
Right Honourable Edward Stanhope Member of Parliament for this
Divison of the County 1874-1893". 8 openwork arches above with
trefoiled, pointed heads supported on marble shafts with shaft
rings with ashlar foliate capitals and moulded bases. Moulded
band above and 8 trefoiled gables above with wrought iron
finials. Very small octagonal copper turret set above with 8
trefoil headed openings supported on shafts with tall gables
above with wrought iron finials. Tall pyramidal roof with
wrought iron finial above.

Listing NGR: TF2589069618

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.