This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1793 / 51°10'45"N
Longitude: 0.3425 / 0°20'33"E
OS Eastings: 563832
OS Northings: 144834
OS Grid: TQ638448
Mapcode National: GBR NQM.X18
Mapcode Global: VHHQ7.WMGB
Plus Code: 9F3258HV+P2
Entry Name: Orchard Cottage
Listing Date: 24 August 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1262824
English Heritage Legacy ID: 433984
Location: Capel, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN12
District: Tunbridge Wells
Civil Parish: Capel
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Tudeley cum Capel with Five Oak Green
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 64 SW CAPEL CHURCH LANE
5/245 Orchard Cottage
Cottage. Early/mid C17, refurbished and enlarged circa 1970. Timber-framed,
the ground floor level is underbuilt with C20 brick and the first floor is
hung with peg-tile; brick stack and chimneyshaft; peg-tile roof.
Plan: Now an L-plan house. The front block faces east and has a 2-room plan,
one each side of the central entrance hall. One-room plan rear block projects
to rear of right end. This layout is essentially the result of the circa 1970
refurbishment. The C17 part is confined to the single room at the left
(north) end of the front block. The original house was essentially a one-room
plan cottage with a stack on its south end (now an axial stack) and with an
integral service lean-to outshot that end. A photograph of circa 1952 in the
National Monuments Records shows the cottage in its C17 form before it was
extended. 2 storeys.
Exterior: Nearly symmetrical front with 4 ground floor windows and 3 first
floor windows, all C20 casements with glazing bars. Central front doorway
contains C20 studded plank door behind contemporary gabled porch. This is the
C20 doorway. The original was sited at the left end. Roof is hipped both
Interior: The carpentry of the C17 cottage is well-preserved. The ground
floor room has a chamfered crossbeam with one step stop. Relined brick
fireplace has an oak lintel which is cut back on the soffit but still shows
part of the chamfer with scroll stops. Similar crossbeam on the first floor.
Roof of 2 uneven bays of tie-beam trusses with clasped side purlins and
diminished principals. The larger bay has straight principals and an
intermediate A-frame truss.
Orchard Cottage was presumably associated with nearby Tattingbury Farmhouse
(q.v.). It is an interesting survival of a very small C17 house.
Listing NGR: TQ6383244834
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings