This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2234 / 51°13'24"N
Longitude: 0.5107 / 0°30'38"E
OS Eastings: 575415
OS Northings: 150127
OS Grid: TQ754501
Mapcode National: GBR PRS.9XR
Mapcode Global: VHJML.SJV0
Entry Name: K6 Telephone Kiosk
Listing Date: 4 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1262894
English Heritage Legacy ID: 433876
Location: Linton, Maidstone, Kent, ME17
Civil Parish: Linton
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Linton St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19/03/2014
TQ 75 SE
K6 Telephone Kiosk
K6 telephone kiosk. The K6 was designed in 1935; the date of this example is not known. Giles Gilbert Scott designed the model on which the mass-produced examples were based. Made of cast iron with glazed door and sides, all with narrow panes either side of a wider central panel of horizontal panes, beneath a domical roof. In the segmental upper structure on each side is a relief crown, placed above a glazed panel bearing the word TELEPHONE.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: The archetypal K6 telephone kiosk was designed by the eminent architect Giles Gilbert Scott (of Battersea Power Station and Liverpool Cathedral fame) in 1935 to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of King George V, and was a development on Scott's 1924 K2 design. The Neoclassical design, influenced by the work of the Regency architect Sir John Soane, is of special interest for the quality of the architectural design as applied to an industrially produced object of mass communication. Some 11,000 K6s were ultimately produced. The K6 telephone kiosk in Linton Hill has a close visual relationship with five surrounding listed buildings and provides a valuable contribution to the conservation area.
Listing NGR: TQ7541550126
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings