This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.913 / 50°54'46"N
Longitude: -3.6982 / 3°41'53"W
OS Eastings: 280712
OS Northings: 113983
OS Grid: SS807139
Mapcode National: GBR L7.QT2N
Mapcode Global: FRA 364P.H31
Entry Name: 1 and 2, Providence Place
Listing Date: 4 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1262949
English Heritage Legacy ID: 433713
Location: Thelbridge, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Thelbridge
Built-Up Area: Witheridge
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Thelbridge St David
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 81 SW
3/252 Nos 1 and 2 Providence Place
Pair of semi-detached houses. Probably 1843. Plastered rubble; rubble stacks topped
with C19 brick; turnerised slate roof. Pair of contemporary double depth plan houses
facing west with central entrance hall and stair between flanking front and rear
rooms. Gable end stacks and central axial stack serving both houses. No.1 to left
(north) and No.2 to right (south). 2 storeys with half-basements and attics in
roofspace. Overall 6-window front was originally symmetrical, now slightly
unbalanced by late C19 minor alterations. Each house has 3-window front. Each has
central door, gained by flight of stone steps and individual tented roof verandahs
raised over basements. Eaves throughout on series of shaped timber brackets.
Original cast iron rainwater head and drainpipe between houses. Gable-ended block.
No.1 on left has original 12-pane sashes to first floor. On ground floor centre is
original 6-panel door and overlight with glazing bars with late C19 canted bay window
with full height glazed sides including front opening French windows all with glazing
bars and margin panes fitted with blue, red and orange glass to left of door, and to
right of door late C19 square-cornered bay window with glazing bars and green
coloured glass in margin panes. 3-bay verandah is supported on plain timber posts
with timber rail and wooden trellis infill. Lead crestwork vallance to tented roof,
now of corrugated iron. Late C19-early C20 casements to half-basement. No.2 has
better-preserved original frontage. Original 12-pane sashes to first floor have
stucco keystones over embrasures and centre is a blind panel with painted glazing.
Similar 6-panel door and overlight with glazing bars flanked by original 12-pane
sashes. Its 3-bay verandah is supported by slender iron columns set in the ground
and used to support verandah floor and has cast iron openwork spandrels. Tented roof
now of corrugated iron. Basement has 2 casement windows with glazing bars and are
protected by vertical iron bars. Both houses have round-headed sashes in end gables
to light attics. They have glazing bars with a gothic pattern in upper sashes.
Interiors contain much original joinery and plasterwork.
Pair of attractive houses on outskirts of Witheridge. Owners' deeds back to 1843,
probably date of erection.
Listing NGR: SS8071213983
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings