History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Higher East Coombe Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Stockleigh Pomeroy, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8246 / 50°49'28"N

Longitude: -3.5775 / 3°34'39"W

OS Eastings: 288985

OS Northings: 103965

OS Grid: SS889039

Mapcode National: GBR LD.X7JC

Mapcode Global: FRA 36DX.G2P

Entry Name: Higher East Coombe Farmhouse

Listing Date: 4 November 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1262993

English Heritage Legacy ID: 433516

Location: Stockleigh Pomeroy, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Stockleigh Pomeroy

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Stockleigh Pomeroy St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Stockleigh Pomeroy

Listing Text

STOCKLEIGH POMEROY
SS 80 SE Higher East Coombe Farmhouse
10/231
-
GV II

Farmhouse. Circa late C15 or early C16, floored, remodelled and lower end probably
rebuilt in early C17. Remodelled again and rear wing added circa 1840. Rendered
and painted cob walls. Dry slate roofs. Large brick axial stack, rear lateral
stack and brick chimney over large external breast to higher gable end (right) with 2
round ovens projecting. 3 room and through-passage plan originally with open hall.
Hall floored and stack inserted at lower end backing onto through-passage in late
C16 or early C17. The lower end rebuilt probably in 1623 as parlour. Remodelled in
circa 1840 when stairs were inserted into through-passage and rear wing added. 2-
storeys. Irregular 6 window south east front all C19 casements. Left bay at lower
level with plain eaves; main part with deeply coved and moulded plaster eaves
cornice. Front arranged with doorway to left bay with top glazed door; wide 4-light
hall window and top glazed door in original passage position to right of middle;
further entrance with top glazed door to right with 2 wide windows to left.
Interior remodelled in circa 1840 with good intact joinery of that period. That
there was an internal jetty at lower end of hall is indicated by rounded joist end
of the jetty exposed in the rear passage which was originally part of hall. Hall
ceiling beams plastered and partition to inner room plastered over and could
possibly conceal timber screen. Lower room has fine splayed fireplace with ogee
mouldings and stepped stops to Thorverton stone jambs and oak lintel, dated 1623
with initials P.P. Ashlar fireback. Fireplace surround of circa C16 cut down
ceiling beams. Hall cross beam with similar ovolo and cavetto moulding to each side
and ending with stepped and moulded stops. Parish church, q.v. has similar moulding
to waggon roof but with cavetto and ovolo i.e. in reverse order of known date 1453
(Hoskins). Fireplace to upper end with chamfered lintel has 2 ovens, 1 very large
oven with arched doorway, is probably C17. Roof over main range is early C19 and
king post roof over rear wing is probably later C19. One of the joists in the roof
space of first floor room appears to be reused smoke-blackened rafter.


Listing NGR: SS8898503965

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.