This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7234 / 53°43'24"N
Longitude: -1.5435 / 1°32'36"W
OS Eastings: 430216
OS Northings: 425319
OS Grid: SE302253
Mapcode National: GBR KTND.M0
Mapcode Global: WHC9S.8N7X
Plus Code: 9C5WPFF4+9H
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 17 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1262994
English Heritage Legacy ID: 433192
Location: Ardsley and Robin Hood, Leeds, WF3
Electoral Ward/Division: Ardsley and Robin Hood
Built-Up Area: Batley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: East Ardsley St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE32NW WF3 CHURCH LANE
SE302253 MORLEY (north side)
3/71 Church of
Church. 1880-81 reusing Norman doorway from earlier church by W. Swinden
Barber (Halifax). Large, remarked punch-dressed stone reused from the earlier
church, supplemented by Morley Stone from Denton quarries, Welsh blue-slate
roof. West tower, nave, aisles, chancel, south vestry, south porch.
Perpendicular style. 4-stage embattled tower with angle buttresses, south-west
corner octagonal stair-turret rises above tower surmounted by weather vane.
2-light window in 1st stage, lancet in 2nd stage, clock to 3 sides in 3rd stage,
2-light belfry opening with cusped lights. 4-bay nave with clerestorey and
aisles. Porch set in 1st bay has arched doorway with hoodmould with carved face
stops and coped gable. In porch is reused Norman doorway c1160 with 3 decorative
orders; chevron, zig-zag incorporating beak-head ornament probably from 3rd order
now replaced by curious cross-bones motif; original capitals but renewed columns.
Aisle has two 3-light windows with cusped lights and curvilinear tracery and
2-light window to 4th bay. Clerestorey has 3-light chamfered mullioned windows
with trefoil cusped lights. North aisle continues a bay into chancel. Gabled
vestry, breaking forward has pointed doorway with ogee lintel set in west wall.
3-light window with taller central cusped light in gable. Lateral stack at 2-bay
junction with chancel which has lower roof than nave. Coped gables with crosses
to apex. 4-light east window with cusped lights and panel tracery surmounted by
Interior: relatively plain with pointed-arched arcades on octagonal piers with
square moulded capitals. Collar-rafter roof with crossed principals. Some
monuments from earlier church, the best to Rev. Ingram Shaw c1766. Font dated
1663 has octagonal, recessed, cyma-moulded panels, 2 bearing date with raised
numerals; octagonal base and shaft. The Churchwardens' Accounts show they paid
5/- for the stone and £1-1s-4d to Michael Nettleton for making and carving the
font, plus 6d for sharpening his tools. Set under porch is grave of John Field
(1520-1586) who was the first astronomer in this country to make known the
discoveries of Copernicus.
Stained glass memorial windows by Heaton, Butler and Bayne (London). Vestry has
panelling made from box pews of earlier church, one initialled and dated
"1634 R.S.E.S." (Robert and Elizabeth Shaw of Ardsley Hall (q.v.) Main Street).
The original church was a chapel of ease for St. Mary's, Woodkirk (q.v.) and
belonged to Nostell Priory. After the Reformation it fell into the hands of the
Savile Family and by marriage to the Earl of Cardigan. The Patroness of the
present church was Lady Cardigan, widow of the 7th Earl of Cardigan (who led the
Charge of the Light Brigade). The Cardigan family are still patrons of the
living of East Ardsley.
J. M. Booth, A History of the Parish Church of St. Michael East Ardsle ,
M. Fiske and R. Weller, St. Michael's Church East Ardsle 1881-1981
Listing NGR: SE3021625319
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings