History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tollgate Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Blakenham, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.114 / 52°6'50"N

Longitude: 1.0922 / 1°5'32"E

OS Eastings: 611821

OS Northings: 250693

OS Grid: TM118506

Mapcode National: GBR TM1.DYW

Mapcode Global: VHLBK.W488

Entry Name: Tollgate Farmhouse

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1263024

English Heritage Legacy ID: 433473

Location: Great Blakenham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Great Blakenham

Built-Up Area: Great Blakenham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Great Blakenham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coddenham

Listing Text

GREAT BLAKENHAM STOWMARKET ROAD
TM 15 SW
3/54 Tollgate Farmhouse
9.12.55
- II

Farmhouse, c.1500 with alterations of c.1600 and late C19. Cross-passage
entrance plan, extended at either end c.1600. 2 storeys. Timber-framed and
plastered; the right hand gable is jettied on exposed knees and moulded
pilasters. Plaintiled roofs with pierced crested ridge tiles and C19
bargeboards with undulating soffits. An axial chimney of c.1600 and an end
chimney at left of C19; both of red brick. 3-light C19 small-pane casements,
the ground storey windows also having square upper lights. 4-panelled C19
entrance door with open gabled porch on timber posts. The nucleus of the
house consists of a late-mediaeval open hall house; a pair of arched service
room doorways and a smoke-blackened crown-post roof are of this date. The
open truss has an octagonal crownpost with moulded capital and base and 4-way
knee bracing; the tie-beam below has lost its arch braces. A wall-place over
the entrance has fine carving - a running design is interrupted by fleur-de-
lys and stylised animals, in the style of late C16; the context is anomalous
and perhaps an apprentice's practice. An upper floor was inserted in the hall
c.1600 with a fireplace backing onto the cross-passage, and a parlour added
beyond perhaps later. A 2-cell wing was built c.1600 behind the service end,
detached until C19. It has good quality timber framing including butt-purlin
roof with wind-bracing, also a large blocked ovolo-moulded mullioned window.
The upper floor of the front room has fine roll mouldings, and the bridging
joist is also crenellated; this is early C16 work and must be reused, perhaps
from a demolished parlour from the earlier house.


Listing NGR: TM1182150693

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.