This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0434 / 51°2'36"N
Longitude: -2.0532 / 2°3'11"W
OS Eastings: 396368
OS Northings: 127115
OS Grid: ST963271
Mapcode National: GBR 2YM.HQN
Mapcode Global: FRA 66LC.7Y4
Plus Code: 9C3V2WVW+9P
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 6 January 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263108
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320363
Location: Swallowcliffe, Wiltshire, SP3
Civil Parish: Swallowcliffe
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Swallowcliffe St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 92 NE SWALLOWCLIFFE CHURCH HILL
3/137 Church of St. Peter
Anglican parish church. 1842-43 by G. G. Scott and W. B. Moffatt.
Limestone ashlar and dressed stone, tiled roofs. Plan: nave,
south and north aisles, south tower over entrance, south transept,
chancel. Neo-Norman. Double-chamfered round-arched doorway with
scalloped capitals to shafts and hoodmould, on south side of 3-
stage tower. Tower has angle buttresses, string courses and
single round-arched window with pair of shafts to second stage,
bellstage has 2-light round-arched louvred opening with attached
shafts, Lombard frieze below corbel table to battlemented parapet.
Square stair turret in east angle has cylindrical upper stage with
conical roof. South transept has angle buttresses, round-arched
window with shafts and round-arched niche over, east window of
transept has round-arched window with hoodmould, corbel table to
eaves, coped verge to gabled front. Chancel has 3 round-arched
lancets with hoodmoulds to south and north sides, corbel tables to
eaves, east end has angle buttresses and group of 3 round-arched
windows with attached shafts supporting hoodmoulds. North aisle
has 4 round-arched windows with hoodmoulds, intermediate pilaster
buttresses, corbel table to eaves of nave roof. West end of nave
has round-arched window flanked by blind arches with attached
shafts, and hoodmoulds, niche over with shafts, aisles have one
round-arched west window. South side of south aisle to left of
tower has one round-arched window with hoodmould.
Interior: Porch at base of tower has chamfered round-arched inner
doorway with attached shafts, east wall has chamfered shouldered
doorway to stairs, west side has 3 open round-arches on columns to
recess containing recumbent C14 knight, Sir Thomas West, brought
from earlier church in village. Four-bay nave has braced king-post
tie-beam roof with arch-braced collar trusses to half-bays. North
aisle has arcade of 4 roll-moulded round arches on cylindrical
piers with transitional-style capitals, south aisle has 4 round
arches on octagonal piers with scrolled floral carved capitals.
Lean-to aisle roofs. Flagstone floors throughout. South transept
has 3-bay arch-braced collar roof, contains vestry and organ.
Roll-moulded chancel arch on stylised stiff-leaf corbels, plain 3-
bay arch-braced collar roof on stone corbels. Fine Neo-Norman
cylindrical font with interlaced round-arches on shafts, at west
end. Stone Neo-Norman pulpit with 4 open arches, readers desk has
2 open arches. Small C18 font with octagonal pedestal in north
aisle. C19 pews in nave. Some good glass; west window
depicting the Baptism of Christ, by H. Hughes of London, 1981, fine
south transept glass to Rev. J. H. Samler, died 1882, glass in east
window to Sidney Lord Herbert died 1877. Built at cost of £1260,
to replace a Medieval Church beside the stream. (Church and
Parish Guide by Cmdr. S. Jenkins; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of
England; Wiltshire, 1975.)
Listing NGR: ST9636827115
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings