This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.6754 / 54°40'31"N
Longitude: -1.2149 / 1°12'53"W
OS Eastings: 450725
OS Northings: 531426
OS Grid: NZ507314
Mapcode National: GBR MGYC.SS
Mapcode Global: WHD6F.9RQ5
Plus Code: 9C6WMQGP+42
Entry Name: Church of St Aidan Including Walls, Railings and Gates
Listing Date: 17 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263293
English Heritage Legacy ID: 432707
Location: Foggy Furze, Hartlepool, TS25
Electoral Ward/Division: Foggy Furze
Built-Up Area: Hartlepool
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Hartlepool St Aidan and St Columba
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 53 SW
OXFORD STREET (south side)
Church of St Aidan including walls, railings and gates
Church 1891, by J.H. Morton (Sunderland), tower 1911. Brick with stone dressings and Welsh slate roofs having crested ridge tiles. Clerestoryed and aisled nave, lower chancel with south aisle, north organ chamber, and northwest tower over porch.
three-stage tower has octagonal vice at southwest angle, rising to top of second stage. Niche to north face with figure of St. Aidan, over doorway of three orders. Plate-traceried window to west face of lower stage, under continuous hoodmould. Two lancets with sill bands, to north, east and west faces of second stage, below lozenge-shaped open-work clock faces. Upper stage has tall five-bay arcade to each face, of alternate narrow and wider pointed openings with heavily moulded heads and slim shafts; narrow arches blank, wide arches open with louvres. Straight dentilled parapet with moulded coping and square pyramidal lantern at south-west angle. Set-back buttresses at all angles of church.
Nave and aisles of five bays defined by buttresses and pilaster strips, flanking pointed plate-traceried windows under continuous hoodmoulds. Tripartite pointed west window with geometrical tracery to middle opening. Three lancets to east gable end. Pointed nave arcades have round piers and alternate round and octagonal moulded capitals. Timber wall-posts rise from corbels above clerestorey sill bands, to barrel roof. Chancel arch of two orders springs from moulded capitals of compound responds set on corbels. Blind, trefoil-headed timber arcading applied to wall tops below chancel eaves.
Good late C19 and early/mid C20 stained glass to east window and south aisle, including work by D. Marion Grant, E.L. Armitage and Messrs L. and D. 1940/41. Heavily carved, painted and gilded oak altar has figures of angels and lamb within arcaded antependium. Similar reredos, with figures of saints, angels and Resurrected Christ, has four-panelled sections to either side painted with figures of saints. Octagonal stone font drum and pedestal with four marble shafts and relief ornamentation to panelled sides of bowl and pedestal. Dwarf brick area wall with chamfered stone copings, iron railings and gates, to west, north and east sides of church.
Listing NGR: NZ5072531426
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings