History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret of Antioch

A Grade II Listed Building in Brotton, Redcar and Cleveland

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5692 / 54°34'8"N

Longitude: -0.9359 / 0°56'9"W

OS Eastings: 468896

OS Northings: 519846

OS Grid: NZ688198

Mapcode National: GBR PHXL.5V

Mapcode Global: WHF88.LFK2

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret of Antioch

Listing Date: 25 May 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1263299

English Heritage Legacy ID: 432729

Location: Skelton and Brotton, Redcar and Cleveland, TS12

County: Redcar and Cleveland

Civil Parish: Skelton and Brotton

Built-Up Area: Brotton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Brotton Parva St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Brotton

Listing Text

NZ 61NE SKELTON & BROTTON HIGH STREET
(north side) Brotton

3/11 Church of St. Margaret of
Antioch
25.5.66
II

Church, 1888-91, by Hicks and Charlewood. Hammer-dressed snecked sandstone
rubble with ashlar dressings. Plain clay tile roofs. Decorated style with
reticulated and geometric tracery . Aisled continuous nave and chancel, south
porch, west baptistry/porch, and sanctus bell turret. Diagonal and angle
buttresses. Nave south aisle of 5 bays separated by buttresses; doorway in
western bay; 3 windows to north aisle. Gable copings define division between
nave and chancel. li-bay chancel arcades. 3-stage, octagonal bell turret
rising from south side of chancel arch, has gabled buttresses to alternate
faces, lesenes at angles rising to crocketed pinnacles linked by pierced
parapet above louvred, trefoil-headed bell openings. Flat-roofed baptistry has
integral flanking porches, with straight parapet and watershots. Flat-roofed
south porch has pointed doorway with carved spandrels below paired
trefoil-headed windows both under continuous hoodmoulds. Parapet with cross
finial over doorway. Ornate iron rainwater hopperheads, square downpipes and
hollow-chamfered guttering. Interior: 5-bay nave arcades have octagonal piers
and double-chamfered arches under continuous hoodmould. Moulded wall-plates
with scriptural inscriptions. Panelled barrel roofs to nave and chancel, with
bosses. Panelled aisle roofs with carved bosses. Pine panelling, with
embattled top rail, to sill-height in aisles. Chamfered chancel arch; 2-bay
chancel arcades with foliate capitals, hold glazed and panelled screens. Organ
chamber and vestry in north aisle; Lady Chapel in south aisle. Carved wood
choir stalls with poppy-head ends. 2-bay timber sedilia and enriched stone
credence niche. Heavily- carved stone reredos of 1902: 6 pinnacled towers with
figures of saints in niches, separated by 5 bays holding paintings of saints
and a landscape of 1923. Tripartite arcade between nave and baptistry/porch.
Stained glass in east window, 1897 by P. Bacon Bros. (London). Late C19
stained glass in south aisle by C.J. Baguley (Newcastle); east window of Lady
Chapel, 1932 by Wm. Glasby (London). Good late C19 stained glass also in
baptistry, west window and north aisle. 2 bells with crown hangings, one dated
1778, the other possibly medieval, in south porch.


Listing NGR: NZ6889619846

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.