This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4139 / 51°24'49"N
Longitude: -0.3705 / 0°22'13"W
OS Eastings: 513416
OS Northings: 169577
OS Grid: TQ134695
Mapcode National: GBR 5L.M87
Mapcode Global: VHFTS.JQHH
Plus Code: 9C3XCJ7H+HQ
Entry Name: Rose Hill (Council Offices)
Listing Date: 2 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263301
English Heritage Legacy ID: 432625
Location: Hampton, Richmond upon Thames, London, TW12
County: Richmond upon Thames
Electoral Ward/Division: Hampton
Built-Up Area: Richmond upon Thames
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary Hampton
Church of England Diocese: London
Rose Hill (Council Offices)
TQ 1369 29/3 2.9.52
(Now Hampton branch of public library and flats: Borough Property). Said to have
been built for John Beard, the celebrated Covent Garden tenor who sang MacHeath in
the "Beggars' Opera", and who died here in 1791.
Various later additions and alterations including one-storey library wing to west.
Original part 3 bays, 3-storeys with 2-bay coach-house wing to east. Stock brick
parapet fronts with stone bands between the storeys and separate hipped slate roofs.
Cupola on central roof in shape of small round Tuscan temple with ogee lead roof.
The roof of the coach-house block is tiled. Mainly C18 sashes but some windows altered
North front: entrance on Rose Hill. Centre bay has semi-circular window on top floor
and sunk panels on either side of first floor windows. Large solid brick projection
on ground floor containing glazed entrance and flanking windows. Various other minor
alterations. Coach-house wing has 2 segmental arched openings, now blocked and modern
windows inserted. South front: overlooking Upper Sunbury Road to river from high bank.
Central full height 3-window splayed bay is dominating feature on this front which is
the more impressive. One window either side and that on ground floor to west modernised
Coach-house wing appears as 2 storeys and attic on this front with slightly projecting
centre containing arched recess now partly filled by small window. Interior:
Contemporary staircase and panelled staircase hall and landings. For entrance lodge
and gates see Upper Sunbury Road.
Listing NGR: TQ1341669577
Other nearby listed buildings