This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5061 / 50°30'22"N
Longitude: -3.7059 / 3°42'21"W
OS Eastings: 279128
OS Northings: 68758
OS Grid: SX791687
Mapcode National: GBR QL.GFNM
Mapcode Global: FRA 374Q.D2L
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 23 August 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263572
English Heritage Legacy ID: 432051
Location: Woodland, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Woodland
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Broadhempston St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 76 NE WOODLAND WOODLAND HAMLET
Church of St John the Baptist
Parish church. C15, remodelled 1536. C20 roughcast on stone, C20 corrugated iron
boiler house at west end of the aisle. Slated roofs. Nave, chancel, north aisles
running full length of nave and chancel, west tower, south porch. South wall of
nave has 2 straight-headed windows of 3 almost round-headed lights; hood moulds
with square terminals. North wall of north aisle has 3 similar windows, but with
smaller terminals to the hood moulds. In each of south and east walls of chancel
and east wall of aisle a Perpendicular window of 3 cinquefoiled ogee-headed lights,
the east window of chancel being slightly larger than the other 2. East window of
aisle possibly reset when the aisle was added. Slightly tapering 2-stage tower,
each stage finished with a string course and with battlements at the top
battlements have a finial at each corner, the 2 on the south retaining their
crenellations; x-sided stair turret with slit windows in centre of south face.
Perpendicular window in lower stage of west face, of 3 cinquefoiled ogee-headed
lights. Paired belfry openings with almost rounded arches in east, west and north
faces, a similar single opening at either side of stair turret on south face.
Porch gabled; inner and outer doorways have 2-centred arches with pyramid stops.
Interior: north arcade of 3 rounded arches, the piers having 4 attached columns
with hollow mouldings between, the capitals alternately rounded and facetted.
Plain, 2-centred tower arch; blocked doorway in west wall of tower. Fittings:
octagonal granite font, the bowl lightly moulded. Monument a brass plaque to
Thomas Culling (d 1670) in north wall; frame enriched with winged cherub-heads in
low relief. First bell circa 1400, second 1678, third 1636, founded at Exeter,
Totnes, Exeter respectively.
Source: W G Hoskins, Devon, 1954, p 518.
Council for the Care of Churches, Schedule of Bells for Preservation, 1984
Listing NGR: SX7912868759
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings