This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2751 / 51°16'30"N
Longitude: 1.3388 / 1°20'19"E
OS Eastings: 632971
OS Northings: 158183
OS Grid: TR329581
Mapcode National: GBR X12.WW1
Mapcode Global: VHLGS.564T
Entry Name: K6 Telephone Kiosk
Listing Date: 20 February 1989
Last Amended: 14 May 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263600
English Heritage Legacy ID: 431934
Location: Sandwich, Dover, Kent, CT13
Civil Parish: Sandwich
Built-Up Area: Sandwich
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
752/5/401 CATTLE MARKET
K6 TELEPHONE KIOSK
(Formerly listed as:
K6 TELEPHONE KIOSK (SANDWICH 611168))
K6 telephone kiosk. Cast iron, glass and perspex.
DESCRIPTION: This K6 is representative of a standardised design made of cast iron, painted red overall with long horizontal glazing in the door and sides, with the crowns situated on the top panels being applied not perforated. There are rectangular white display signs, reading TELEPHONE beneath the shallow-curved roof. It has modernised internal equipment. It is fairly intact, although some windows have been replaced in perspex, and it is missing a small section at the bottom right hand corner of its door.
This kiosk is located between the East Kent Road Car, and St. Johns Hospital Almshouses, both listed Grade II. There are more listed buildings approximately 20m to the east of the kiosk: Nos.2, 4, 6 and 8, and also 10 and 12 Cattle Market (all listed Grade II). Additionally, approximately 20m to the north of the kiosk is listed Grade II No.12 Delfs Street. These listed buildings form a group when viewed from both the north of Delfs Street and the south of Cattle Market, and the kiosk therefore has a close visual relationship with more than one listed building.
HISTORY: The K6 telephone kiosk is a milestone of C20 industrial design. The K6 was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 for the General Post Office, on the occasion of King George V's Silver Jubilee. The K6 was a development from his earlier highly successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924, of Neo-classical inspiration. The K6 was more streamlined aesthetically, more compact and more cost-effective to mass produce. Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960) was one of the most important of modern British architects; his many celebrated commissions include the Anglican cathedral of Liverpool and Battersea power station. The K2 and K6 telephone kiosks can be said to represent a very thoughtful adaptation of architectural tradition to contemporary technological requirements. Well over 70,000 K6s were eventually produced. In the 1960s many were replaced with far plainer kiosk types. But many still remain, and continue to be an iconic feature on Britain's streetscapes.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
The K6 telephone kiosk at Cattle Market, Sandwich is designated at Grade II for the following prinicipal reasons:
* Designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935, the K6 is a major landmark of industrial design.
* This telephone kiosk has a strong visual relationship with more than one listed building collectively.
Listing NGR: TR3297158183
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings