History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in East Farleigh, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2527 / 51°15'9"N

Longitude: 0.4788 / 0°28'43"E

OS Eastings: 573082

OS Northings: 153315

OS Grid: TQ730533

Mapcode National: GBR PRC.FWG

Mapcode Global: VHJMD.8S00

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 5 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1263636

English Heritage Legacy ID: 431849

Location: East Farleigh, Maidstone, Kent, ME15

County: Kent

District: Maidstone

Civil Parish: East Farleigh

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: East Farleigh

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
East Barming

Listing Text

LOWER ROAD
TQ 75 SW EAST FARLEIGH
(North Side)
2/49 The Old Vicarage
5.12.85
GV II

Vicarage, now house. Later C17, with early-to-mid C18 additions to left and
right. C17 section timber framed, gable end clad with galleted stone
on ground floor, and white brick above. Left addition red and grey brick
in Flemish bond to ground floor, with white brick above. Plain tile
roofs. Right addition buff brick in Flemish bond, with slate roof. C17
section of 4 timber-framed bays built at right-angles to road. Late C18
or early C19 addition at right-angles to left of front gable end with
further addition to left end. Addition of c.1830 at right-angles to right
towards rear of C17 section. C17 section 2 storeys and garret, on stone
plinth, rest 2 storeys. Flat eaves soffits to right addition.
Half-hipped roof to C17 section, hipped roof to right addition. Multiple
brick ridge stack in left slope of roof, in third timber-framed bay from
front. Further stacks to junction with left section, and to left gable
end and central corniced stack to right addition. Irregular fenestration
of 5 windows; one 4-light casement to left section, and one similar
window with top-lights to first floor of C17 section; two recessed 12-pane
sashes with splayed ribbed brick voussoirs and blind central window to
right addition. 15-pane sashes to ground floor of right addition, which
has 2-bay right return elevation. Half-glazed door in Doric architrave
to gable end of C17 section. Interior: some exposed framing. Staggered
butt purlin roof to C17 section. C19 staircase with straight balusters
and wreathed handrail. Said to have been occupied by Robert Wilberforce
[vicar 1832-1840).


Listing NGR: TQ7308253315

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.