This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0661 / 53°3'57"N
Longitude: -2.523 / 2°31'22"W
OS Eastings: 365048
OS Northings: 352219
OS Grid: SJ650522
Mapcode National: GBR 7S.BZLK
Mapcode Global: WH9BB.66TB
Entry Name: Peppers
Listing Date: 28 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263769
English Heritage Legacy ID: 431240
Location: Nantwich, Cheshire East, CW5
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Nantwich
Built-Up Area: Nantwich
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Nantwich St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 6552 MILL STREET
793/1/44 No. 9, Peppers.
Town House, later used as a bank, and subsequently as a political club. c. 1736, altered 1852, and further altered and extended in 1897. Ped brick, laid to Flenu'sh bond, with ashlar stone dressings, 2 brick ridge stacks and a plain tile roof covering.
PLAN: Full depth central hall, with flanking rooms separated by a main and a secondary stair, and with billiard room extension to west.
FP,ONT (north) ELEVATION: 2 storeys with attics and basement. Symmetrical 5-bay front with single storey addition. Central entrance bay slightly advanced, flanked by shallow brick pilasters, and with pediment above first floor window which penetrates blind brick parapet above moulded cornice. Line of pilasters expressed in piers within parapet, and surinounted by urns. Doorway with i-noulded door case and scrolled brackets supporting a segmental pediment. Panelled door, formerly
' h 10 panels, now partially glazed. Flanking bays with glazing bar sash windows (retaining heavy
section Cl 8 glazing bars) to ground and first floors,'9 over 6 panes, with segmentally-arched heads, set within advanced ashlar surrounds. Storey band above ground floor openings, and moulded coping to parapet.
INTERIOP,: Altered plan form, with removal of dividing walls between ground floor rooms. However, these retain many original elements, including moulded ceiling cornices, Cl S fielded panelling, panelled doors, window reveals and shutters, moulded window surrounds and architraves to doorways. Many of these details are repeated at first floor level. Principal staircase with slender turned balusters and ramped and moulded handrail. The secondary stair survives at first floor level, with detailing sinu'lar to that of the main stair. It gives access to the attics, with exposed roof timbers, panelled doors, and plain attic hearth surrounds with Cl 9 hob grates. Within the attic storey, a short staircase with barley-sugar balusters gives access to a south-facing prospect platfon-ii at roof level.
HISTOP,Y: The house was built c.1736 and remained in private occupation until 1852, when it was altered to form the prerru'ses and managers house of the District Bank. In 1897, the building was purchased by the Nantwich Liberal Club. A substantial and well-detailed early, CIS Town
House, which, although altered and extended in the Cl9, retains much original interior fabric. Source: P,.C.H.M.E. Historic Buildings Report. N.B.R. No. 95688. 1998.
Listing NGR: SJ6504852219
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings