This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.0009 / 55°0'3"N
Longitude: -2.6961 / 2°41'45"W
OS Eastings: 355570
OS Northings: 567587
OS Grid: NY555675
Mapcode National: GBR 9BMM.34
Mapcode Global: WH7ZM.KKCM
Plus Code: 9C7V2823+8H
Entry Name: Longlands Farmhouse and Adjoining Ranges
Listing Date: 9 October 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263789
English Heritage Legacy ID: 78184
Location: Kingwater, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA8
Civil Parish: Kingwater
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Lanercostwith Kirkcambeck St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
Longlands Farmhouse and adjoining Ranges
Farmhouse with outbuilding attached to forming an L-shaped group around cobbled farmyard. 1822 (for the occupiers, T & A Wannap), the house incorporating work of 1694 (for D.A. Cartwright). Coursed local rubble (the house rendered); slate gable-end roofs. Farmhouse: 3-unit plan with through-panel and outshut, the latter lengthened and raised in 1822. 2 storeys. Datestone (1822) over rear doorway. Front:regular 3-window range, the windows with raised surrounds and 4-pane harnless sashes; central doorway (early ledge door with strap hinges) with simple slate slab porch. Quoining to right. Rear: doorway with raised surround; large sash window (lighting stairs) to left, and (to left again) 2 smaller windows lighting cellar and small upper room, all windows in raised surrounds. Ridge and end stacks, the former renewed in brick.
Interior: remarkably intact set of 1822 fixtures. Room to left of cross-passage with raised panel cupboard doors to either side of renewed fireplace. Room to right (housebody or hall) with heck partition with settle; fireplace with later C19 range flanked by cupboards with depressed panels; 2 ceiling beams; flag floor. Room further to right (parlour), furnishings slightly more elaborate to reflect high status of the room; panels to cupboards with beaded margins, fielded panelled internal shutters. Plaster cornice. Contemporary door surrounds and doors; fielded panels to parlour door. Open well stair (within outshut), stick balusters, moulded newels, ramped rail and moulded head ends. 1st floor: Complete set of doors and surrounds; internal shutters; cornice to bedroom above parlour. Cupboards with panelled doors.
Farm buildings: stable adjoins house to byres with haylook return to farm range; the latter has various windows, some with raised surrounds, and large segmented arched carriage way. Revised datestone of 1694. External steps (with kennels below). Outer elevation plain with ground floor windows only.Internally the large stone smoke-hood survives forge. Roof members morticed and pegged.
Listing NGR: NY5557067587
Other nearby listed buildings