History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Upton, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.0507 / 51°3'2"N

Longitude: -3.4339 / 3°26'2"W

OS Eastings: 299588

OS Northings: 128905

OS Grid: SS995289

Mapcode National: GBR LL.G1VV

Mapcode Global: FRA 36PB.Q0T

Plus Code: 9C3R3H28+7C

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 4 August 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1263817

English Heritage Legacy ID: 429590

Location: Upton, Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, TA4

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Upton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in



10/111 Church of St James

- II

Parish church. Circa 1870. Squared and irregularly coursed local stone, Bath stone dressings, slate roof, decorative
ridge tiles, corrugated iron roof to vestry. Three bay nave, south porch, north-east vestry, chancel. Diagonally
buttressed west end, two 2-light windows, small rose window above, three 2-light windows on north face of nave, lean-to
roofed vestry, shouldered doorway, 2-light window on east front, octagonal chimney with gabled top, lancet to
diagonally buttressed chancel, 3-light east window, two lancets and two 2-light windows on south front, single storey
gabled wooden porch with decorative bargeboards on stone plinth, double doors with decorative hinges, lancet to right;
bell-cote over chancel arch, decorative wrought iron finial, bell in trefoil headed, gabled opening, Interior:
rendered. Perpendicular-style chancel arch with colonnettes. Two bay archbraced chancel with faces carved on corbels;
6-bay nave roof, foliage corbels. C19 fittings including pulpit, font, tiles in chancel; wrought iron altar rails;
wrought iron frame for portiere; harmonium. Three bells, unhung, and remains of possibly Saxon circular stone font from
the earlier Church of St James (qv). The earlier Church of St James was largely demolished c1870 and the present church
resited about a mile to the south on the main road through Upton village. There are tablets to the Fergusson Davie
family who were presumably instrumental in the rebuilding of the church. The east window is dated 1873.

Listing NGR: SS9958828905

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.