This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0388 / 51°2'19"N
Longitude: -3.5514 / 3°33'5"W
OS Eastings: 291322
OS Northings: 127752
OS Grid: SS913277
Mapcode National: GBR LF.GVGL
Mapcode Global: FRA 36GC.L83
Plus Code: 9C3R2CQX+GC
Entry Name: Congregational Church and Hall, Dwarf Wall, Railings and Gate Abutting North Corner
Listing Date: 4 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263903
English Heritage Legacy ID: 429314
Location: Dulverton, Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, TA22
District: Somerset West and Taunton
Civil Parish: Dulverton
Built-Up Area: Dulverton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
CHAPEL STREET (West side)
Congregational Church and hall, dwarf wall, railings and gate abutting north corner
Chapel with hall and schoolrooms adjoining. Dated 1831 and 1897. Render grooved as ashlar, slobbered rubble north front, slate hung rear elevation to chapel, exposed rubble and brick to hall, slate roofs, overhanging eaves. Plan: parallel range, chapel extended with school rooms over hall and single storey vestry set at an angle at east end. Gable fronted chapels three 3-light divided tracery windows, centre window shorter above square headed entrance, double panelled doors with fluted architrave, date stone in gabled end 1831. To right, 2-storey, 3-bays cruciform windows with segmental heads, central semi-circular-headed doorway, 6-panel door, datestone in gable end 1897. Interior of chapel, panelled wooden gallery on 3 sides, west end supported by 2 cast iron columns with cavetto moulded capitals, plain cast iron columns supporting returns, all painted to simulate marble. Late C19 fittings. Early C19 stick stair rising in south-west corner with turned newels. East end wall painted with inscription "Holiness becometh thy house O Lord". Hall adjoining with 5 small schoolrooms on first floor, all with stained pine matchboard panelled dados, hall similar with 4 wood and cast iron benches combined with desks, and 2 plain benches, all by George Hammer of London. Interesting examples of late C19 patent furniture. Random rubble boundary wall with cement coping, spearhead railings and gate. Returned on north-nest corner of chapel to Chapel Cottages (not included in this list), about 10 m in length. Sir George Williams founder of the YMCA who was born at Ashway Farmhouse (qv), worshipped here as a boy.
Listing NGR: SS9132227752
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings