History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Whalton, Northumberland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.1272 / 55°7'38"N

Longitude: -1.7945 / 1°47'40"W

OS Eastings: 413200

OS Northings: 581448

OS Grid: NZ132814

Mapcode National: GBR H9X4.9T

Mapcode Global: WHC2W.DDP7

Entry Name: West Manor House

Listing Date: 29 April 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1264043

English Heritage Legacy ID: 428836

Location: Whalton, Northumberland, NE61

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Whalton

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Whalton St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Whalton

Listing Text

WHALTON WHALTON VILLAGE
NZ 1381
(North side)
12/164 West Manor House
GV II*
House, dated 1729 with initials I:R on lintel, possibly incorporating earlier
fabric. Alterations 1908-9 by Sir Edwin Lutyens for Mrs. Eustace Smith, when
the house was incorporated in the Manor House (q.v.); it is now a separate
tenancy. Squared stone (except for rubble in ground floor left return), cut
dressings; stone slate roof.

2 storeys, 5 bays, symmetrical, chamfered plinth. Central 6-panel door with
overlight in wave-moulded raised stone surround with shaped lintel top; 12-pane
sash windows with raised lintels and stepped keystones. Coped left gable on
moulded kneelers; stepped-and-corniced end stacks. Left return shows two 4-pane
attic casements. Rear elevation shows twin projecting wings, that to right
extended by Lutyens.

Interior: some contemporary fireplaces with later ironwork. Panelled shutters,
transverse ceiling beam in sitting room with swelled chamfer stops of C17 type.
Dog-leg open-string stair up to attic; urn-on-vase balusters, moulded, ramped
and wreathed handrail, moulded newel post at base, shaped tread ends. Roof
structure of collar-beam trusses with overlapped apices carrying ridge, the
joints nailed rather than pegged.

Prior to the 1908-9 alterations known as the Mansion House; the present dwelling
includes one bay of Lutyens' link block; for description see Manor House (q.v.).


Listing NGR: NZ1320081447

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.