History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tilney St. Lawrence, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.7268 / 52°43'36"N

Longitude: 0.3247 / 0°19'28"E

OS Eastings: 557083

OS Northings: 316888

OS Grid: TF570168

Mapcode National: GBR N40.4WM

Mapcode Global: WHJP5.YQSD

Plus Code: 9F42P8GF+PV

Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary

Listing Date: 11 August 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1264178

English Heritage Legacy ID: 428480

Location: Tilney St. Lawrence, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE34

County: Norfolk

Civil Parish: Tilney St. Lawrence

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Wiggenhall St Germans with St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Terrington Saint Clement


TF 51 NE

8/45 Church of St. Mary
- II*

Ruins of parish church. Late C13 nave, transepts and chancel. C15 west
tower, constructed when church remodelled. Rendered ashlar and carstone,
some brick in tower. 3 stage tower with angle buttresses. Arched west door
below string course. 3-light Perpendicular west window. Twin lancets to
ringing chamber below brick belfry stage pierced by 2-light reticulated belfry
windows. Crenellated parapet. Stair turret to south-west. Tall eastern
tower arch. Nave with 3-light square-headed windows and flat stepped
buttresses. No roof to nave. Gables survive to transepts supported by angle
buttresses. North transept north window of 3 stepped lancets, corresponding
south transept window 3-light Perpendicular. Chancel west wall 1972 with
3 lancets. Chancel east window Perpendicular of 3 lights beneath segmental
arch. To south one 2-light Y tracery window, an arched'priests' door and
2 lancets paired together. Chancel roofed with pantiles. Wall monument in
chancel north wall to Edward Bagge 1846. Predula panel bears inscription
below relief carving of reclining figure addressed by angel, all beneath
4-centred Gothic arch with hood mould. To east wall monument to 3 sons and
4 daughters of Anthony Dixon. 1723. Marble. Rectangular with fluted
pilasters supporting open pediment. Oval bowed inscription panel. Carved
predellaof 2 winged cherubs in floral field. Tower belfry retains C15 timber
bell frame in form of 3 bay retangular cage scissor braced to north and south.
Central bay with vertical studs and arched braces to fulcrum point of bell

Listing NGR: TF5708316888

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.