This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8526 / 52°51'9"N
Longitude: -2.6383 / 2°38'17"W
OS Eastings: 357113
OS Northings: 328530
OS Grid: SJ571285
Mapcode National: GBR 7N.S7NK
Mapcode Global: WH9C7.FKWJ
Entry Name: The Citadel
Listing Date: 28 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1264270
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428335
Location: Weston-under-Redcastle, Shropshire, SY4
Civil Parish: Weston-under-Redcastle
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Weston under Redcastle
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 5628-5728 REDCASTLE C.P.
17/173 The Citadel
Dower house. 1824-5 by Thomas Harrison of Chester on site of late
C18 building. For Sir Rowland Hill, fourth baronet of Hawkstone, for
the use of his mother and her sister-in-law, Jane Hill. Red sandstone
ashlar; slate roofs concealed by crenellated parapets. Gothic Revival
Castle style. Plan consists of 3 circular bastions grouped around
a central octagon with 2 castellated walls at 45° angles to rear.
2 storeys with continuous chamfered string course and false machicolations
to bastions; mock gun-loops. Wooden mullioned and transomed windows
throughout, those on ground floor and on both floors to bastions with
plain labels; 4-centred arches to centre window of middle bastion and
to inner windows of outer bastions on first floor. Entrance through
shallow embattled porch to centre bastion; 4-centred arch with C20
Gothic traceried door. Octagonal spiral stair turret projection to
rear of centre bastion and red brick stacks with 4 attached octagonal
stone shafts to rear of outer bastions. Walls at 45° angles to rear
with embattled parapet and stepped buttresses with gabled caps conceal
late C19 red brick additions (formerly more extensive) to rear. Interior:
main features to ground floor include original open-well staircase
with Gothic tracery to cast-iron balustrade, plain open string and
panelling to dado. Perpendicular-style fireplaces, notably the one
in the dining room with segmental arch and trefoil decoration to spandrels.
Ceilings mainly have plaster ribs and foliated bosses except to dining
room, which is coffered and has elaborate plasterwork. Panelled doors
and window shutters. B.O.E. p.312; C.L. (August 21, 1958) pp.368-71.
Listing NGR: SJ5711328530
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings