This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4308 / 50°25'51"N
Longitude: -3.6969 / 3°41'48"W
OS Eastings: 279570
OS Northings: 60374
OS Grid: SX795603
Mapcode National: GBR QL.M9X2
Mapcode Global: FRA 374X.9KF
Plus Code: 9C2RC8J3+86
Entry Name: The Old South Range of Hospital
Listing Date: 16 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1264283
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428281
Location: Totnes, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Totnes
Built-Up Area: Totnes
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Totnes St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
0/D2 TOTNES PLYMOUTH ROAD
The Old South Range
Former Totnes Union Workhouse, now a hospital. 1838-1839. Local stone rubble
and dressed stone quoins and red brick window dressings. Some sections of
the rear wall have been roughcast. Slate hipped roof with gable-ended wings
left and right.
Plan: This is the central range of 3 parallel ranges according to the 1888
OS map; The front north range was rebuilt in 1906 and what was probably the
service range behind has been demolished. It is a long range facing south
with a slightly deeper central and right hand block, its entrance at the centre
in a canted bay and short projecting wings at either end. Later in the C19
2 storey wings were added to the front and rear of the left hand end. In the
C20 wings were added to the front of the right hand end, one was probably the
laundry and the other the administration office. Late in the C20 a covered
corridor was built at the front to the right of centre to link the original
building with the rebuilt front range.
Exterior: 3 storeys symmetrical 2:7:2:3:2:7:2 bay north front. The centre
7 bays break forward with a 3-window full height canted bay at the centre.
The end 2 bays project slightly, each with an oculus in its gable. The windows
have red brick dressings and segmental brick arches. The central 7 bays have
larger windows and only those on the first floor of this block have their original
12-pane sashes, except for the 2 second floor windows of the right hand gabled
projection which are also original but smaller 12-pane sashes. The other sashes
at the front have all been replaced in the C20 and the ground floor window
openings have been enlarged by lowering their sills. Some of the windows are
blind or blocked and a few additional corridors have been inserted. The doorway
in the central canted bay has a dressed stone surround with a recessed panel
above containing a C20 clock. Over the ridge of the centre block there is
an ornate wrought iron weathervane.
Attached to the front of the left hand end a later C19 2-storey stone rubble
wing with a gable-ended slate roof and C20 sashes. Mid to late C20 brick wing
covered corridor at right angles to the right of the central doorway and to
right of that a C20 2-storey wing with a hipped roof and large brick stack.
Projecting at the front of the right hand end is a C20 single storey wing with
a gable end.
The rear elevation is assymmetrical(only the right hand end is recessed and
the centre has a canted bay. Various sash windows, some of which are original
12-pane sashes. To the left there is a small C20 projecting wing and at the
right end a large mid to late C19 2-storey wing with sash windows. Those on
the ground floor the original 24-pane sashes. There are 2 fire-escapes and
other small C20 accretions at the back.
Interior: Not accessible at the time of survey, October 1987.
Listing NGR: SX7957060374
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings